Pants vs. Bibs

epb

Can anyone lay out the pros and cons of pants vs. bibs? (for backcountry and climbing use)

I've been using pants forever, now I'm looking at getting a new pair. Wondering if bibs would a better route to go. Bibs seem like they would be more comfortable with a harness, and keep the powder from going up your back when you crash (as I do a lot). What's the down side though? Is there one?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

both are good but i switched from bibs to pants. mainly a heat regulation issue. and you can wear the pants out on the town in chamonix waiting for the weather to break. Also, when things get a bit tight with aging, bibs don't seem to be as forgiving. Shirts don't come untucked for cold spots with bibs but they do with pants. The heat issue is the biggest deal and I am usually hot in the mtns except at belays.

I have both but use bibs the most. If there is only a low chance of bad weather and it is warm, I take the pants. In winter I always take bibs.

Bibs Pro = Comfort, full coverage (no plumbers crack), warm, easy to waer harness either on top of or under bibs

Bibs Con = Heavy, bulky, can be to warm,

Pants Pro = generally lighter (less material), generaly less bulk to carry, cooler than bibs,

Pants Con = Plumbers crack, less comfortable (unless you get an amazing fit), can be a bit tricky with harness

If only owned one, bibs. I really hate plumbers crack, drives me nuts.

good luck. Let us know what you get and how you like them.