Sahalee Arm - Boston Basin - Hidden Lake beta?

Bug

GF liked the Enchanments loop. Looking for something to top it.

Thinking of this; in via Cascade pass/Sahalee arm.

Over to Boston Basin then Edorado.

Out via Hidden Lake.

She is NOT a climber but had no trouble scrambling class 3 in Enchantments.

Questions;

Where are the places she is likely to freak out?

How hard, How much exposure?

Any info will be appreciated.

Bug

Edited by Bug

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done this in the opposite direction, a bit shorter since we went out Boston Basin.

There's a Class 3-ish place getting from Boston Basin to Torment Basin and another gaining the ridge W (?) of the Triad from the south. I can't think of what to compare it to but I do recall you'd hate it if you did fall there. A short light rope wouldn't hurt if there is squeamishness.

The rest is pretty much walking...very pretty and scenic walking. Cooler than the Enchantments in that it is more alpine and less populated.

Ice axes would be a plan unless you go quite late.

Enjoy

I think the less elevation you want to lose, the more difficult the route. There's a swell third class ramp from the shoulder of Sahale into Boston Basin, I think I like it better than the Boston Basin approach. I've gone from Torment basin into Boston basin from pretty high on the shoulder and we did one rap over some downslabbed mossy crud. Should be a pretty good high route though.

There's some other stuff from that area up towards the N Cascades highway, Isolation traverse maybe? Something goes out the Klawatti icefields too, I'd bet that has some crevasse potential, might be a bit much.

I've also thought there is something fun to do from the Mt Daniel area, past some of those cool lakes on the west side, over Hinman maybe, and onto that ridge above the middle fork of the Snoqualamie. I'm sure you could put together a great low third class route in that area.

I think the less elevation you want to lose, the more difficult the route. There's a swell third class ramp from the shoulder of Sahale into Boston Basin, I think I like it better than the Boston Basin approach. I've gone from Torment basin into Boston basin from pretty high on the shoulder and we did one rap over some downslabbed mossy crud. Should be a pretty good high route though.

Sounds like you crossed the same place we did into Boston Basin.

Fuzzy foto below, taken from below the Triad, shows pretty much the whole trip from there to Sahale Arm.

Triad_to_Sahale.jpg

I think that once west of Torment it's non-technical and more scenic to follow the ridge top towards Eldorado but I can't swear to that since I haven't actually walked it.

Great info and the picture was exactly what I was looking for.

We will be skirting the rappell stuff down low.

But we will take a 30m rope and axes.

July 11 is our entry date if the snow is melted off enough.

We will see.

The Hinman area was my 'plan B' already so good suggestion.

I was up there a couple years ago and remember looking over at the valley to Eldorado. I think I remember that the only real way to get over there (non technically) is directly from the Sahalee Arm. I was up on Boston Peak, and any traverse from that side of Sahalee is pretty serious.

Yeah, I know that didn't help much......