Mt. Adams via sled?

OrganDonor

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down there last weekend, the 6th & 7th, trying to get to the South Climb TH. like the report says I only got to within 7 miles, but the road was clearing out fast. every day new snowmobilers would come in and move a few trees out of the way, push a little further up the road with their 4x4's and generally beat the snow off the road. a lot of work has been done to clear downed trees off the road, by whom I dont know, but it looks like the slednecks are doing most of the work, lots of riding still to be had there. they were riding literally riding day and night. from what I was told by them the other sno-parks had generally melted out and the only riding was off of Rd 80. I spent the night camped on the road want to ski the next day but it started raining in the morning and I bailed so I dont have any idea what you will find up the road once you stop driving. hope this helps some, go for it and let us know what you find! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just at that road today, and you can drive about a couple of miles past the two switchbacks on 8040 road. Lots of trees came down, but they have all been cut away leaving the road open. Right at the end they are taking haz trees down now. I parked and walked in a couple miles following someones ski tracks. Road was completely snow covered and a snowmobile would work,, and there are lots of snowmobile tracks there. I gave up on the loose punching through snow. Forgot my skiis. What a wasted trip. Next time...

• 2 weeks later...

I just called the forest service (509.395.3400) and there is still a 4.5 mile hike/ski in to the trailhead (southside). I was planning on doing Adams in a few weeks for the first time. Hopefully the road clears up a bit more by then, but, if not, does anyone have any suggestions on another fun, non-technical climb in WA's S.Cascades or OR's Cascades? I was looking into one of the Sisters...?