stove repairs

forrest_m

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Refurbs, can't rebuild a stove in 5 minutes even with a sonic bath unless you're like Gomer from FULL METAL JACKET.

Soak your stove in bicycle degreaser or citrus cleanser, attack it with a tooth brush and rinse with white gas or solvent, then h20 and a thorough drying out in sun or a hot window /garage.

So I finally got down to the msr factory store to update my old whisperlite with a shakerjet (yeah, that's me, right on the cutting edge of technology). They did a very nice job, $25 for a new fuel rod, generator, jet and flame spreading rings. What's really cool, though, is that they somehow cleaned the whole rig so that it looks brand spankin' new. They only had it behind the counter for maybe 5 minutes, but it is shiny and clean like it hasn't been since it first came out of the box. I clean my stoves regularly, but I've never been able to achieve anything like this level of factory-freshness. What I want to know is WHAT DID THEY USE TO CLEAN IT AND WHERE CAN I GET SOME? Any ideas?

(they also gave it back to me in a new stuff sack with new windscreen/reflector. not really necessary but i thought it was a classy touch)