PLB recommenations

Bigtree

I was at a search & rescue meeting last week with the Provincial Emergency Program folks in Victoria. The boys were pushing personal locater beacons (PLBs) for climbers quite strongly. The stats were thin for north of the border but I heard over 10 000 units sold/in use south of the border. Seemed a bit high to me given all the chatter and negativity about their use (and MLUs for that matter) in previous posts (perhaps the number is inclusive of recreational boaters?). Nevertheless, am starting to think it might be useful to purchase one of two for use on some of our Alpine Club trips.

I see that REI has a couple made by ACR but I can't seem to find much else suitable for backcountry/mountaineering use (i.e., small and light). Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on other makes and models (apparently the integral GPS chip is a desirable feature)?

Some good basic information on PLBs here by the way: http://www.nss.gc.ca/site/cospas-sarsat/locaterBeacon_e.asp

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll want to do your own research, but Doug Ritter's site "Equipped to Survive" will give you most of the info you ever wanted to know. I'd start here: http://www.equipped.org/plb_legal.htm and then link to all the info Doug has, including this comparison chart of PLBs.

It appears ACR with several units, and McMurdo with one unit, are the only current manufacturers of truly affordable PLBs.

Doug's a pilot and a long-time, well-respected survival authority.

I should add: I can tell you a little about use of PLBs in the US, nothing about Canada. PLBs are essentially a smaller, personal version of ELTs and EPIRBs, which were originally designed to be used for planes and boats. Test program in only the state of Alaska in about the 1990s for use as Personal Locator Beacons on land: was successful enough PLBs were adopted for voluntary use for all of USA. I sold all 3 of these types of emegency rescue beacons until 1998. ACR made the only easily available PLB during that time.

I noticed that ACR had this new unit, too.

Makes a person wonder if you are going to start seeing the previous model (a little larger/heavier) for something under $TotallyOverpriced and GiveMeABreak cents.

Older or newer unit looks roughly the same size and weight though; still "about a pound".