Poisoned Food Supply - only for Pets?

dmuja

So, they have found some shit that is pretty bad for "pets" in the "pet" food supply and is killing them - likely by the hundreds.

The detected shit is a rat poison that is now widely used in China, and another chemical used in making plastics.

The 2 chemicals have contaminated *wheat gluten* (a pet food ingredient) imported from China - apparently nearly all wheat gluten comes from this single source.

*Wheat gluten* is used extensively in the "manufacturing" of food products for HUMAN BEINGS as well.

The tainted *wheat gluten* goes thru a large U.S. based company that may also provide most or all of the *wheat gluten* used in manufacturing food products for HUMAN BEINGS in the U.S.

The FDA has refused to name that company.

To reassure all of us though, the FDA did say they have "no reason to believe this chemical has entered the U.S. food supply." (I feel much safer now knowing this...ahemmm..)

However, as a precaution only, the FDA has "contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to alert it to monitor closely for any human disease."

Hmmm... eat your wheaties today?

Edited by dmuja

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only eat wheat that I've grown myself.

Somebody just gave me an Easter basket lined with live wheat grass instead of the plastic spaghetti stuff. I'm going to keep it growing to add to my homemade dog food. :tup:

Thanks Easter Bunny! :moondance:

P1011038.JPG

Wheat is cool. I actually grow a 1 foot square patch of it last year. People would walk by and yell "That's wheat!", like it was some kind of exotic tropical wonder. I was going to put a Tonka combine out there as decor, but I couldn't find one in any of the local stores. Maybe the Kennewick Toy's R Us has one.

My cats go insane over wheat grass. We grow it for them, and a call of 'grass, grass' sets off fits of feline hysteria. One time in our old house, they somehow climbed up on top the fridge, knocked the plant off and dragged it all over. They sure had a fun time from the looks of things, though the clean up wasn't so fun for me.

My cats go insane over wheat grass. We grow it for them, and a call of 'grass, grass' sets off fits of feline hysteria. One time in our old house, they somehow climbed up on top the fridge, knocked the plant off and dragged it all over. They sure had a fun time from the looks of things, though the clean up wasn't so fun for me.

That's cool(not about the clean-up part :crazy: though)! Hmmm, I wonder if the dogs will eat it straight out of the planter? They seem to enjoy "grazing" on the spring growth popping up in the lawn....on second thought, I don't think I'm going to give them the chance at it. I just remembered what else they do out there in the lawn. :sick:

BTW, rmncwrtr, every time I see your name I want to see a vowel magically show up somewhere in it. Reminds me of a bad Scrabble rack. (except that I usually end up with something more like "uuuiiio".) ;)

BTW, rmncwrtr, every time I see your name I want to see a vowel magically show up somewhere in it. Reminds me of a bad Scrabble rack. (except that I usually end up with something more like "uuuiiio".) ;)

Vowels are overrated Sherri :)

For anyone who's interested in the subject of this thread title, Anderson Cooper is talking about it tonight on his 360 show on cnn.

Somebody just gave me an Easter basket lined with live wheat grass instead of the plastic spaghetti stuff. I'm going to keep it growing to add to my homemade dog food. :tup:

P1011038.JPG

But Sherri, it's lavender-colored.

P1011038.JPG

But Sherri, it's lavender-colored.

Think I need to butch it up a little?

• 1 month later...
So, they have found some shit that is pretty bad for "pets" in the "pet" food supply and is killing them - likely by the hundreds.

The detected shit is a rat poison that is now widely used in China, and another chemical used in making plastics.

The 2 chemicals have contaminated *wheat gluten* (a pet food ingredient) imported from China - apparently nearly all wheat gluten comes from this single source.

*Wheat gluten* is used extensively in the "manufacturing" of food products for HUMAN BEINGS as well.

The tainted *wheat gluten* goes thru a large U.S. based company that may also provide most or all of the *wheat gluten* used in manufacturing food products for HUMAN BEINGS in the U.S.

The FDA has refused to name that company.

To reassure all of us though, the FDA did say they have "no reason to believe this chemical has entered the U.S. food supply." (I feel much safer now knowing this...ahemmm..)

So at one point they were saying they found aminopterin, but then they changed the story to melamine. Melamine is an industrial chemical (triaminotriazine)used to make plastics and adhesives. An example is the cheap panelling they use in restrooms.

Why would the Chinese deliberately add melamine to wheat gluten? The answer is because it contains a lot of nitrogen. The chemical formula is C3H6N6.

When they test for protein what they really do is test for nitrogen. The test is really not specific at all. The Chinese know this, and boost the apparent "protein" content of their products by putting in any cheap chemical they can find that has lots of nitrogen. Besides melamine, they'll also occasionally use urea and cyanuric acid.

The only concern is the bottom line. Can you make a product that will sell for the lowest possible cost.

I think we should be very concerned about almost any product purchased from China. We can't be certain any of it is safe.

Click here for updates on the pet food recall from the FDA