While In Sitka

jshamster

Hey all.

I'll be working in Sitka, AK for three weeks, 3/11 - 4/1, and am looking for some recreation/must do suggestions.

I'll only have weekends.

So, is it worth bringing my splitboard, climbing gear, other?

I won't have a lot of time or money for boat or plane rides, so any familiarity with the immediate surrounding area would be great.

Thanks for any info.

:brew:

Cheers.

Jimbo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there a few years back in February and March. There are a few spots around town where you can get in some turns on a board or some BC skis (can't remember the peaks off hand but locals who ski will be able to give you the easy beta on these).

If you're feeling somewhat adventurous and there is a good weather window, Mt. Edgecomb, across the Sitka Sound has some nice lines. You need to get a lift by boat out there but some locals with adequately sized boats might be willing to take you out. You'll also need to hoof in quite a ways to get the turns

Weather can be really cruddy this time of year as the town sits close to the Gulf of Alaska and gets plenty of precip -- usually in the form of rain and lots of wind. When the sun is out, it's quite pretty.

Salmon runs may start around that time so fishing gear would be good.

If you want ski information; try posting a question here; someone may have info: http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24565

It is snowing like mad in Juneau right now (Winter storms shut down Juneau); however Sitka is a bit further south.

PS... here's the info for Edgecumbe: http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/aktrails/ats/se/edgcumb.htm