Overtraining

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, animal protein will go a LONG way to making you a ripped and lean endurance athlete. You, me, mamals, are made of protein and fat - if we don't replace the bricks AS we break down the building, the building starts to crumble! I know its way more complicated than this, but you'll boost up your calorie burning capacity if you eat enough lean protein.

Personally, I went veggie-vegan for about a year a few years ago, and found myself getting pretty weak. I can maintain way more strength and general health better when I eat meat regularly. Its expensive, yes, but think about it as an investment in your body.

I don't think vegetarian diets will make you weak. I think it is mostly that the general vegetarian population eats a crappy diet anyways (ie. "lets eat sugary cereal for dinner instead of chicken") and ends up starving themselves of amino acids. So for them eating [some] animal protein would be a good thing. I have a couple friends that do vegetarian diets really well, but they are super smart and have done the research on what to eat! What I am stressing is that athletes need to be more careful with their nutrition than most. For me, I simply couldn't get the protein I needed from a vegan diet.

Awsome picture Sherri!

I was just giving you a hard time, ILS. I know you're pretty smart about nutrition, physiology, etc--you probably know way more about being a vego than I do. :blush: All I know it is that it works for me and lets me train at a personally satisfying level. It may not work for the next guy, though.

It's important for people to discern what is the ideal diet for them, depending on what they want to accomplish.

Yeah, besides, I'm not about to start eating more meat just to get more protein. I'm too lazy to cook it more than anything else. (I eat just about everything raw these days.) I'm gonna give my doc's suggestion a try and give the protein powders a shot for a few weeks.

And in the summer, I will be stopping by those highway diners a couple of times a month on my way home from climbs and chowing down on those bacon cheeseburgers!

:)...

I picked up one of those George Forman grills a while back, and it seems to be nice and easy. I just buy a whole bunch of free range chicken breasts, freeze them, then with the grill thingy I can toss the breast on there while its still frozen and it cooks in like 8 minutes. DIALED.

Hey Sherri, I_Like_Beans (a lot) too! I've been buying black beans in bulk, then using my croc pot to cook them all day while I'm in class or work. Again, DIALED! Also, I'll say it again, that picture is really damn HOT! I'm sure your hubby thinks so too! :tup::rocken:

Hey Sherri, I_Like_Beans (a lot) too! I've been buying black beans in bulk, then using my croc pot to cook them all day while I'm in class or work. Again, DIALED! Also, I'll say it again, that picture is really damn HOT! I'm sure your hubby thinks so too! :tup::rocken:

No hubby here. But that's another story.

Thanks, though. :) You're a sweetie! Gotta luv a guy who knows his way around a slow-cooker. :tup: