Washington Winter Rec Program - Ouray in WA?!

kurthicks

Got this in my inbox...

"The Washington State Winter Recreation Program is developing a strategic plan for the future. At the moment it does not include any climbing.

As a member of the Advisory Committee I believe we can have great ice climbing for our citizens in the winter. I have seen other states where water is sprayed on the sides of canyons to have ice climbing parks.

It needs your input to figure out where these could be. It needs your input as to where Sno-Parks would be needed for winter climbing.

Take a look at: http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/strategy.asp and give them your comments.

Please let your members and other climbing interests know that now is the time for them to point the strategic planner in the direction of where their interests would be served.

Every May grants from the program are given for groups who wish to develop winter recreation in Washington. In the past these have included Nordic skiing clubs for grooming trails and building centers and snowmobile clubs for building extensive trails across the state. It has included dog sleders for special trails and Sno-Parks. I do not believe we have ever had a request from climbing interests. The grant forms will be online in March.

A coalition of climbing clubs who could mobilize volunteers and matching monies could do great things in the state.

If you have any questions or I can be of help please contact me at:

Michael Gruskin

MGruskin@hotmail.com

T: 206.612.2525

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic