Poopy News

Dr_Flush_Amazing

It means we won't have glaciers to...

irrigate WA state crops during the summer & fall, provide continuous water for an ever-growing population, etc. The ramifications of losing our glaciers really suck any way you look at it. More huge reservoirs/dams will be needed, and that will only help if the precipitation keeps up the pace.

conservation of mass... the world will always have the same amount of water. whether it is stored as ice or stored as water or stored as gas - we'll find a way to use it. humans have always found a way.

And that's why there are no water shortages anywhere in the world, right. Because we are so good at making do :rolleyes:

well the 'making do' might not be representative of some of the shortages, but is does indicate the overall trend. else we would be dead, but instead i keep hearing that we are overpopulated. :wazup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The level to which human behavior is impacting seems to be the real question in the argument right now compared with what is happening naturally. Let's say for the sake of argument we all make whatever changes needed to be made so that we cut our level of impact in half. What measureable changes if any would this have?

I want clean air and fresh water to drink, for myself and the whole world. We should do prudent things to try and ensure that. But at any cost, is there really anything that can change this trend? Human's existence on this earth is tiny compared to the age of this earth. It seems almost arrogant that in that little time we have the ability to contribute in such a large way to the changes that have been occuring naturally long before we were ever here.

As a side note, I believe there is a debate tonight at OMSI here in Portland between the state climatologist for Oregon and the state climatologist of Washington. Needless to say, they have differing views on the subject.

But at any cost, is there really anything that can change this trend?

Yes!

The following article lists 15 things we can do. We only have to do 7 of them to stabilize the amount of greenhouse gasses and hence the warming occurring. If we did more than 7 of the 15, we could begin to reduce atmospheric greenhouse levels.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/305/5686/968

Edited by G-spotter