Partners for Advanced Climbing course on Hood

billbob

Fellow Newbies - I am interested in doing a 2 day Advanced Climbing course through Timberline Mountain Guides on Mt. Hood. It would consist of a first day going over lots of technical things and a second summit day doing Leuthold or similar route. Point is, it would be way cheaper if at least one other person wanted to join in. See their web page at http://www.timberlinemtguides.com/Mountaineering/MtHood.html

We would plan on doing this on a weekend with decent weather permitting sometime between late Feb - late March.

If anyone has an opinion of TMG or a suggestion for another guide co., please give it up. I'm getting tired of learning things the hard way.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting.

Just wondering about the dates indicated in your post... these don't match what their website says. Have you been in touch with them and the dates/Leuthold's was the agreed upon deal?

And... how many people do they take up at a time?

(one last thought.... this isn't exactly a newbie route from what I've heard)

Edited by Kevin_Matlock

Ya, they would agree to do a "special". Maybe they don't get a lot of business this time of year. No limit was mentioned but would want to keep it to max 5 others. We would, to some extent, be subject to typical winter conditions. As to the route, that is really tbd as even the usual Old Chute/Pearly Gates (this winter) are a bit more than the usual newbie would want to deal with. Personally I would be fine w/ the WCR or chutes as this is intended as a bridge out of newbie-ness and since mentors are hard to find...

Well, me and another guy have been talking about making a run up WCR, Wyest, or the chutes in the next few weeks... just wanted to hit it at some other time of year other than the typical (for me) spring ascent.

A third would be fine by me if you wanted to crank up the difficulty level by throwing in the winter factor.

I've been up hood several times, but don't consider myself "mentor level"; but you'd be free to glean whatever knowledge you wanted from me.

Guess the idea of Leuthold sparked my interest, so I figured I'd ask.

PM me if you're interested in joining our rope.

Billbob, if you do this course, can you please let me know what you think of TMG?

My hubby has done non-technical climbs (Shasta, Whitney and Popo-something in Mexico) and has been wanting to do Hood since we moved here in '97. Of course I got pregnant right away and three kids later, I still haven't said yes, but I've been thinking about it a lot as I learn more about climbing for an upcoming project and am seriously considering getting him a spot in TMG's Summit Program for his Father's Day gift in June. I'm still on the fence about it though and want to know more.

I sent them an email today! I'll definitely talk to them, too. And I'm staying tuned to see how your experience turns out.

I'll admit I'm still torn about doing this for him. Especially since I'm trying to figure out how to kill two experienced climbers on a mtn without making them look like idiots, yet at the same time gathering info so I can figure out a way to finally let hubby go up on Mt. Hood!

Billbob - wanted to let you know TMG got a big thumbs up from a PMR member who's been helping me with some research. After talking to him, I'm going to get the Summit Program for my hubby's anniversary gift (April) instead of waiting until Father's day. The PMR guy also said he'd make sure he was on patrol the weekend hubby was up there!