Thielsen in Winter

Alpine_Junky

Curious to get some info about thielsen in winter.

Road Access? I know the road is plowed to the snow park, not sure if it's all the way to S Diamond Lake (to the trailhead), anybody know?

Summit Pinnacle: Rime Ice? Snow? Two tools? Gear (pickets? screws? dig for rock gear? sling natural features? all of the above?). Just what am I getting myself into?

-Scotty

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Road: Road and trailhead are plowed. Bring your snowpark pass. Trail is marked with blue diamonds to the intersection point with the PCT.

Pinnacle: Snow. Thielsen doesn't get a lot of wind so it doesn't grow a lot of rime. The climb itself 5.0... you could likely do it in gloves but you will need something to extract gear placements so at least one ice tool would be wise... I'd vote for both. Pro is generally mid to larger nuts and/or hexes. Screws are extra weight. Pitch is ~80' so a single 50 m rope will get you up and down.

Thielsen in winter (wow the TR search engine is great): http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426753

Great low commitment winter climb :tup:

Road: Road and trailhead are plowed. Bring your snowpark pass. Trail is marked with blue diamonds to the intersection point with the PCT.

Pinnacle: Snow. Thielsen doesn't get a lot of wind so it doesn't grow a lot of rime. The climb itself 5.0... you could likely do it in gloves but you will need something to extract gear placements so at least one ice tool would be wise... I'd vote for both. Pro is generally mid to larger nuts and/or hexes. Screws are extra weight. Pitch is ~80' so a single 50 m rope will get you up and down.

Great low commitment winter climb :tup:

I concur

Thanks guys,

Planning on bringing skis and full avy gear, hopefully things will settle out a little before then. Timmy didn't you do thielsen with jlag? He seems to recall it being pretty mild.

Looks like I'll just take some rock gear, skis, one m axe, one tool, an 8.0 x 60, and avy gear. Looks like we'll have two video cameras so maybe I'll be able to post video later.

thanks again,

-Scotty