Glen Denny Book on Yosemite

EWolfe

Glen Denny is publishig a book on the history of Yosemite, due out in 3 months. Lots of great pictures and stories.

I had to sign a release cuz there's two pictures of me at Camp 4 in there from 1965!! One I am standing on a rock in oversized boots, and another I am studying a chestnut intently.

Also, one of Mom and Dad with Mark/Bev Powell, Layton Kor and Steve Roper (1963) getting geared up for the 3rd ascent of the Nose. You can see a grubby little one-year-old arm sticking out of the side of the picture...

Guess who?? :moondance:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, MisterE, glad to know. I see the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Glen-Denny-Yosemite-Sixties/dp/0979065909

But I thought Glen Denny's movie--"El Capitan"--edited and released by Fred Padula (and one of my favorite climbing movies) in the late 70s or so, documented the third Nose ascent. Not sure if I remember that from the movie itself, or some other source, but that's what is stuck in my mind. I may well be wrong. Haven't seen that movie in at least a couple years, but I've got the VHS in my collection and have seen it at least 10 times since the mid-80s. Climbers in that ascent, in addition to Glen who filmed, were Dick McCracken, Gary Colliver, and Lito Tejeda Flores.

I don't doubt you. Just wondering which ascent was which?

Can't wait for Glen's book to come out.

Cheers :brew:

As soon as that book comes out i am putting it on my wish list and the next time i see you E i want you to sign my book :cool:

can't wait to read it and i hope more and more books come out telling about the history of our sport. the only thing that makes me more excited is actually climbing (and sex ;) )

• 2 months later...

MisterE: Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for the belated reply here. I finally looked at Hans Florine's site, and according to him, "The third ascent of the route took 3.5 days, Layton Kor, Steve Roper, and Glenn Denny." (Source here.) No date given, but the second ascent, first one done in a single push, was Robbins, Pratt, Frost and Fitschen in 1960.

MisterMo: As far as price goes, it lists at $60, with signed and numbered copies being sold by Patagonia (who is the publisher along with Editor Tom Adler) for $120. Amazon's selling for $37.80 before shipping and tax. Were you able to get yours for any less, possibly using a more local supplier? BTW, nice photos in the wayback thread.

Yup, can't wait until I get a copy, but trying to suss out the best deal, hopefully from a non-big box retailer. Whatever the price, I'd have to think it's worth it. Looking forward to having Glen promote the book and Yose on a little tour if that's in the works.

Very cool, MisterE, glad to know. I see the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Glen-Denny-Yosemite-Sixties/dp/0979065909

But I thought Glen Denny's movie--"El Capitan"--edited and released by Fred Padula (and one of my favorite climbing movies) in the late 70s or so, documented the third Nose ascent. Not sure if I remember that from the movie itself, or some other source, but that's what is stuck in my mind. I may well be wrong. Haven't seen that movie in at least a couple years, but I've got the VHS in my collection and have seen it at least 10 times since the mid-80s. Climbers in that ascent, in addition to Glen who filmed, were Dick McCracken, Gary Colliver, and Lito Tejeda Flores.

I don't doubt you. Just wondering which ascent was which?

Can't wait for Glen's book to come out.

Cheers :brew:

love that movie