Wild Country zero cam opinions? Anybody?

Kevin_Matlock

No comparison and folks break WCZ's right and left whereas I've never heard of anyone breaking a ball nut...

BallNutz Specs

--------------------------------------------------------

# / mm / in / gm / oz / Strength / Color

1 / 3 - 6 / .12 - .24 / 29.0 / 1.0 / 4.5k / Blue

2 / 4.5 - 9 / .18 - .35 / 39.0 / 1.4 / 8k / Red

3 / 6 - 12 / .24 - .47 / 48.0 / 1.7 / 8k / Gold

4 / 9 - 13 / .35 - .51 / 61.0 / 2.2 / 8k / Green

5 / 11 - 15 / .43 - .59 / 71.0 / 2.5 / 8k / Purple

WCZ Specs

# / Range / Strength

1 / 5.5-7.8mm / 3kN

2 / 7.0-9.8mm / 4kN

3 / 8.5-12.2mm / 6kN

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken lots of falls on ball nuts. I've taken repeated dives on both #2's and #3s (like 4-6 falls working a line) I've never once had a problem removing them. It's all in how you place them. I use them relentlessly and have never done an FA without carrying them. Here's some more in-depth discussion about them from rc.com:

Ballnutz

Careful consideration when putting your balls on the line...

never heard of anyone breaking a ball nut

cause no one uses them! :laf::lmao:

No one used Crack'N Ups either. Some things are just a bit esoteric and / or folks simply don't bother to understand how they work and how to use them. People buy WCZ's because they understand how to pull a trigger and that's about as far as they look despite the fact that they are objectively inferior to available alternatives. If I only followed the herd I'd have missed out on a lot in both climbing and life...

No one used Crack'N Ups either. Some things are just a bit esoteric and / or folks simply don't bother to understand how they work and how to use them. People buy WCZ's because they understand how to pull a trigger and that's about as far as they look despite the fact that they are objectively inferior to available alternatives. If I only followed the herd I'd have missed out on a lot in both climbing and life...

i've never seen a crack'n up, but are the current BD peckers the newest reincarnation of them??? i've been experimenting with the peckers (i'm still pretty new to aid and am just now expanding my rack beyond the usual cams and nuts) and have to say that i really love them for certain applications... There are definately places where a good cam hook or pecker is just sooo much better than a micro cam (zero, TCU, whatever) or micro nut.

Peckers are the latest invocation of A5 (Hurricane Works) Beaks which were designed off of ideas from half a Crack'N Up that was cut up. Beaks and Peckers were designed to be hammered even if folks sometimes hand place them. Crack'N Ups were designed as passive camming devices much like a Leeper cam hook. The shaft if bent / offset from the head to provide the camming action. Crack'N Ups are two-sided so they can cam right side or left.

6299CU0.jpg

Also, for ball nuts you should consider heating the plastic sheath tubing and flattening it, especially on the #1 - #3 so it doesn't get in the way of placing it.

People buy WCZ's because they understand how to pull a trigger and that's about as far as they look despite the fact that they are objectively inferior to available alternatives.

I'm still ignorant of why they're objectively inferior. Maybe you can educate me?

It seems like one could argue that since they're easier to place, that's a point in their favor. After all your link says "Ball Nut placements by and large require careful study and attention when placing them".

But I'm interested in learning more about Ball Nutz.

That's what small pro is for. It just pays to know the capabilities and limitations of the pro when it starts getting small. Many of the aspects of placing pro we take for granted when using larger gear become considerably more critical at smaller scales. Constructing placements from one or multiple small/micro pieces of pro that will actually hold falls takes a bit of different mindset and very clear understanding of both the pro and the rock you're attempting to use.

I've been free climbing above small pro and assorted hooks for a long time and have fallen on many of those placements. We took a load of dives on a circular nest of seven equalized rp's once putting up a route at Crow Hill in MA back in the mid-80's. We used about a dozen steeply pre-sliced Air Voyagers (Screamers) three or four times each in the process, reslicing them again and again, and the nest held up until the job got done.

You can get quite creative with both small pro, hooks, and pre-sliced screamers in various combinations and never have to resort to a bolt, if you know what you're doing. And yes, WCZ's could even play a role in one's arsenal, but there are not many places (very shallow horizontals)where I'd be inclined to use them rather than more robust alternatives.