Sisters Marathon

Enlightened_Hammer

I want to do a Sisters Marathon next season and was curious to what the typical route used on each mountain is.

From What I can see, I would do the NW Ridge of N. Sister descend the S. Ridge to the Saddle of Middle Sister. Descend the SE ridge of middle Sister and traverse over to a nice line I saw on S. Sister(NW Ridge). Come down Prouty Glacier and then do Broken top via the Std. Route.

Does this sound feasible. I have no intention in punishing myself trying to do this in 24 hours more like a long 3/4 day weekend.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a pretty good trip. The climb up the pinnacle on the summit of N. Sister was recently described on this board as rather scary (it is steep and rotten) but it is not too bad and quite short. I believe your proposed descent of the Prouty would require crossing a rather large 'schrund so if you don't want to do something technical there you might want to consider descending a steep scree slope from the southeast shoulder of the mountain (Hodge Crest) to the Lewis Glacier and then heading back around toward Broken Top.

[ 09-07-2002, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: mattp ]

A descent down the standard South route of S. Sister via Green Lakes would work too, though a little less interesting. Not sure if you have climbed S. Ridge of North Sister yet, but one traverse can be quite intimidating for newer mountaineers at times when it gets icy. The bowling alley can be a difficult icy downclimb too, or very straightforward when dry.

Have fun.

One idea (I think Zenolith was considering this last spring, not sure if it was pulled off) was to climb Early Morning Couloir, ski the West Face Right down to the Collier, head up North Ridge of Middle, ski down the South Ridge, head up the North Ridge of South (or the couloirs on the right), ski back down the Prouty, head up the NW ridge of Broken Top, traverse, and ski down 11 'o' clock couloir, exit at Dutchman's. A good early-season pounding. How's that grab ya? [smile][rockband]