building a northwest trad rack

saragrace

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
First I try and fiddle in a hex (the same 2 or 3 always seem to find a place on my rack, and I place one of them more often than any cam I own). Hex's just make me happy, very confidence inspiring. For me, a good hex placement is enough to keep me happy for 10 or 15 ft (further than a nut or cam).

Dude, I thought I was the only person who loves hexes. I get alot of stupid looks (and the occasional comment) clanking up behind people like a lost cow with my hexes dangling (I routinely carry sizes 8, 9 and 10).

In addition to your comments, for me they are a cheap and light way to add bigger pro to my rack. When I climb, I try to place my big hexes first, saving my #3 camalot for when I *really* need it.

My standard rack:

1 set BD nuts

Blue to Black Metolius cams (sorry, forgot numbers and sizes)

#1, #2, #3 Camalots

8, 9, 10 Hexentrics

I also have a #4 camalot, but never carry it, unless I know I will need it.

I will echo what has already been said: Get good at placing nuts and hexes. Place them first. Then you'll have your cams available when you need one. When people laugh at my hexes, I just pity them for carrying double (or more) sets of cams up to #3 camalot. Can't be much fun leading with that beast. Who's the dumb one? moon.gif