New to AT, need advice on Volkl explosiv

DanRowe

I am new to at skiing, but an advanced alpiner. I am looking to put together a set of at gear and a very low cost. i found a pair of volkl explosiv's 190's for 40 bucks. they are the generation 1's, the yellow ones. i know they are old, but do you think this will be a good ski in the BC. I am 6'1" 160lbs. Looking to mount a fritschi binding on them. i would appreciate any and all feedback/advice.

thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the last couple responses should be a good hint...

Honestly, I think they are too long for you, but if you are an advanced skier, and you know what you like, then go for it. The Explosiv is no longer made, and they are fairly popular. You can't really go wrong at that price, IMO.

Neither am I. ;p

I am a 6'2" 225lb'er who is quite happy on some 188 Elan 777s.

He's as tall, but a lot lighter than me, and I bet he would have fun on a shorter ski, as well as huffing less weight up the hill. However.... the price is right, and like I said, if he knows he wants the longish ski, then he should go for it.

Oh yeah, I'll bid $176. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

im 6'5'' 220 and don't ski anything over 185. i think 190 would be long for you, but for fourty dollars try it. if you have really be away from the sport for ten years the length might be comfortable for you. it reccomend a 170 for someone your build. in the subject of ski gear i'm buying randonee bindings, what should i buy? right now i'm leaning towards the freeride plus

• 2 weeks later...