Could this be the end of the U.W. Rock?

Lowell_Skoog

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UW rock is a Seattle icon, and should be rallied around by all PNW climbers, as nearly all of us have climbed there.

If they want to build an overpass where the rock is, prehaps they can just build a new wall under the freeway ala burnside skate park in Portland or the mtn bike trails in Seattle.

The atmosphere would be compromised, but at least the new structure would be dry 24/7 year round.

Seattle should forget fixing the bridge and build on to the north. say lakecityish to opposite side.

As I wrote before, I prefer to see this as an opportunity to create something better at the U.W. rock. I can't imagine drumming up serious opposition to the bridge because of the rock. But I can imagine having a voice in the planning to make accommodations for a new facility there. Seems like something that the U.W. climbing club should look into.

The UW rock is a Seattle icon, and should be rallied around by all PNW climbers, as nearly all of us have climbed there.

Some of us tried it once long ago and never found a reason to go back. Its possibly as good as spire rock but I think its value is more sentimental or historical than as a place to climb unless you live near the U District. Build the damn bridge and make them put up something better - a lot better! PNW Icon - Bah!

You disagree, then say the same thing.

Climber's can have a chip in the big game here.

The UW wall has served generations of climbers and it's loss can easily generate widespread public support via what will be a shurely sympathetic local news media.

Easy b-footage and concerned 10 second soundbytes make for perfect editorial fodder.

How about this artist's conception of a new UW wall:

609055-2005_07_22_walking.jpg

609055-2005_07_22_walking.jpg.fc52c70814038e66647cd10258c6ba50.jpg

did you come up from olympia to go to UW rock!? if I knew how to insert a rolling laughy-head eating a well-packed sausage with tied-off casing, you would see one here.

turning a practice rock into a destination is not something I would like to see happen. I think UW rock is a really neat place to ride yer bike to on a summer evening, great for practicing just about everything, I would hate to see it go.

to respond to counterfeitfake:

I think another bridge could reduce the congestion on the I-5 bottleneck on Ubridge... If people who work on the Eastside and lived in the northseattle did not have to drive over the 520bridge, then that huge morning slowdown would be lessened.

Of course the planning is already in the works to replace the 520 bridge due to its age. Something I do not quite understand....many cities have much older bridges....Is the replacement due to the floating nature and Lake Wa abuse...?....

Anyrate, other great metropolis' have mucho bridges over waterways to keep the flow of traffic smooth. Our little town of Seattle has two bridges over a Large Body of water...

How many bridges are in the city of Portland ? New York City?

Whatever happens...SAVE UW rock!