Bailey Range to Skyline Trail Route?

achykneesplease

I am curious if anyone has tried to connect the Bailey Range Traverse with the Skyline Trail without descending the Elwha Snowfinger and then going back up to low divide(Class 3 or lower). The “Climbing Guide to the Olympic Mountains” shows a number of routes that could be connected together. From Dodwell-Dixon pass go up the north ridge of Mt Queets, then traverse a ridge to MT Meany then to Mt Noyes. Finally, descend into the Seattle Creak basin from the low notch between Mt Seattle and Mt Noyes.

I’m planning this route for next summer and would appreciate any insights anyone might share. I'm afraid there is a good reason I haven't found more information on this "Potential" route.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No route appears to be documented back until the time of Herb Chrisler, the likely first european to cross the Bailey Range. He supposedly had a route that was demo'd by a rockslide, after which he spent many years trying to reconnect to the skyline for elk filming. Good luck connecting, but be prepared to bite the bullet and drop to the Elwah.

I've done a traverse onto the skyline trail from the bailey range by dropping into the basins on the west of the ridge completely staying away from the elwha. From queets basin, go up the queets glacier for a while, and drop over a shoulder on the west side of mt. queets, don't need to do the summit. Then drop into the unnamed basin. We then scrambled up to climb mt. meany for a side trip and then returned to the basin. Continue contouring south, on the west side of the ridges at about 4900-5000 feet, into saghalie basin. Then ascend a gully, up to the skyline trail, just north of lake beauty a ways.

I have read that Herb Crisler used what he called his “secret route” between the Queets Basin and Lake Beauty. Like me, he wanted to find a way to connect the Bailey Range to the Skyline trail without dropping down the Elhwa Snowfinger. The crux seems to have been Saghalie Canyon. In the late 40’s, after some years of exploring, he found a ledge and crevice used by elk passing through a cliff on the south side of Saghalie Canyon. Apparently, the crevice was so narrow as to be difficult for a mature elk to get through. After not visiting the area for about 16 years, he tried to find the route from the South side. He was hurt in a fall and spent several days trying to rediscover the crevice. Ultimately, he came to believe it had been destroyed in a rockslide.

I’m encouraged to hear that “Mtn Mouse” was able to find a way and appreciate the details he shared in his post.

Yes, we got up Mt Queets via a narrow ridge where we placed petons. This was the "class 2" ridge per the guide book from Donwell Rixon Pass to Mt Queets. Calss 2 my $%&*. If we knew it was going to need petons I don't think we would have hauled our full packs up there in a Queets Basin to Low Divide ridge traverse attempt. Otherwise a gfun climb with a light pack. yellaf.gif