State Route 900 climbing?

OrganDonor

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true, there are 3-4 routes established and it is easy to find. The area is about 1/2 mile north of the Wilderness Creek trailhead on the west side of the road.

About 10 years ago Alex and I bouldered there and found some old 1/4 bolts. Last year I suggested to Alex that it might make a nice dry tool area so we did some toproping. Alex equipped a couple of routes with lead bolts and there are top rope anchors for a couple others.

That said, the crag itself is a bit of a hag...lower angle, pretty chossy, vegetated...making for poorer quality climbing if your game is rock climbing with rock shoes and a set of draws. Not recommended for that kind of thing. The old 1/4 inchers are gone now, though.

Yeah, I went and checked it out today. Since I'm fairly new to climbing outdoors, I didn't mind it. There were 2 bolted routes, both probably 5.8 or 5.7 I would think. Then there were two sets of chains you could top rope but no bolts. Looks like they were set up for trad climbing. Did see alot of what looked like dry tooling marks. It was a fun day though, and the 50 yard hike to the wall was appealing. Thanks for the info Dan, Alex. Appreciated.