Death on Mt. Eleanor?

mothboy88

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, sometimes the first time a person has a heart attack, it is fatal. A friend of mine, who had seen his M.D., and was given a clean bill of health dropped dead of a heart attack a few days later. No one is totally safe from this, as Jim Fixx, the guy who authored the best selling book "The Complete Book of Running" found out, he died from a heart attack while out on a regular run and everyone, including himself, thought he was in great shape. My condolences to the family of the hiker.

I've heard of a number of people who have had mi's who were in dynamite condition. Just takes a small clot to break loose at some point.

An older guy died of a heart attack up on 3 Fingered Jack here in Oregon a few years back after summiting. Sad, but when you think about it a pretty good way to go when you get older [Frown]

It's true that you can not only be in dynamite shape, you may not have the slightest hint of a problem beforehand. The only way to know for sure is to get either an angiogram (which carries risks) or a new type of CT scan (which is expensive and not covered by insurance). A sound policy is to exercise (i.e. hike and climb a lot), which reduces your risk of heart attack AND makes sure you're taking advantage of the days you have left to you.