olympus enchainment

ivan

planning on spending a week or so around olympus the second week of july...read all the info on olympus here, and was looking at the map last night and thought it would be sweet to climb all the summits off the blue glacier...so from reading i have good descriptions of the main summit, how are the others? anybody have good info on them? routes, ratings, etc? i of course am a cheap bastard and have deigned not to purchase the olympics guidebook ...support my laziness!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All can be done in a day from base-camp. We brought a rope for some easy leads and a couple of rappells. Bring a sub-minimal rack. Climbs must have been 5.6 or lower because I did them in boots and did not encounter any problems. Leads were very short, you *might* be able to get away w/ a 30m rope if you are terribly weight-consious.

I remember downclimbing some stuff w/ interesting route-finding.

Beware chossy rock.

did you climb mt. mathias off the blue glacier? if so, did you approach it from the pass up by the summit or from the blue? the map shows this peak to be more than 1500 feet off the glacier, with a long tongue of steep glacier leading up to just 700 or so feet from the summit (wouldn't be surprised if it was totally jumbled up though)