South Brother, 5/19/2002

mvs

Thanks to Pack on My Back and others for beta on this climb! I did this as a long day trip, leaving the car at 4:15 am, and getting back at 3:45 pm. Rain on and off all day. A little snow up high, but the cloud ceiling was above the peak, so I had good local views. The view into the heart of the Olympics was incredible, despite truncation of the higher peaks due to the grey ceiling. I wore crampons on the upper mountain, and didn't glissade until below the Hourglass due to cold, icy conditions. Great glissade though! Great nap at Lena Lake on the way out. The Forest Sevice Policeman was waiting at my car for me to return. He asked where I misplaced my hiking pass. When I said I was protesting the pass, he rolled his eyes, and went to write me a ticket. Hopefully that means he's seen a lot of people like me and is getting tired of writing tickets? It is a $30 fine, I can pay it or go to court. Aside from my new status as "lawbreaker", it was a great day in the mountains.

Thanks again,

--Michael

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by mvs:

Hey Michael, way to go! Did you take snowshoes?

--Michael

Thanks! I left them in the car, which was good. I was beginning to think nobody read my little report!

Right on Payaso. The only sad thing about this mountain is that you can't see it close up. On the approach, there is always something in the way. On the climb itself, there is a buttress continually in the way. When I drove home, I was constantly looking for a vantage point of the peak. I know it's a prominent landmark from Seattle, but I don't know which one, other than that the mountain is somewhere on the left of the range. [geek]

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

Do you think if the Ranger hadn't put you and the car together, he would have issued the ticket? From what I understand, they have to have you admit the car is yours or see you get in it. The ticket goes to the person, not the car. At least that is precedent in Arizona.

No, he wouldn't have given me the ticket if he didn't see me get into the car. He was waiting for me to return. He was sitting in his vehicle nearby, watching the parking lot. I briefly thought about hiding in the woods until he left, but I was tired and wanted to go home. He might have stayed for hours!

--Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Climbed the So. Brother sun/mon of memorial day weekend. No snow on the trail until the camp area at Lena forks. Well used boot trail through the snow from there. Met up with an Olympic college mountaineering class in the lower basin. They roped up and went directly up the hourglass. We opted to go over the shoulder to the right of the hourglass and traverse back into the upper basin above it. Short,icy rock step at the notch just below the summit, but not difficult. Outstanding glissade for almost the entire route back down. No need to bring snowshoes. Good luck and I bet you have better views than we did. The weather on sunday looks great.

Thanks for the info. Sunday offered ideal conditions (firm snow up, softer on the descent) which made for an unexpectedly casual daytrip--back to the car early afternoon. Couldn't peel ourselves away from the S. Bro summit; basked in the sun for about an hour, admiring the outstanding views into the Olympics. A modest haze veiled most of the Cascades. Gorgeous day up there!

No 'natural' rockfall, but while on the summit we heard some careless climbers scrambling the final 150' send rock down the main route. Reportedly they very nearly dicked some unfortunate followers. (A modicum of care on that slope should prevent rockfall.) Wear your lid and beware the hazard presented by those above. We made a speedy (but careful) descent for this reason, well aided by that incredibly convenient glissade! All tolled, a thoroughly enjoyable trip on a spectacular mountain.