Outfitter Anacortes?

jmj11

I'm in the early stages of looking into opening an outdoor outfitting store in Anacortes (I live next to Mount Erie)I came up with the idea when I could NOT find a biner anywhere on the island. My thoughts would be small store that specialized in rock/ice climbing, mountaineering, light weight backpacking (for the older . . . weight aware backpacker) and some adventure sports like kiteboarding, long boards possible paragliding.

I only do a little climbing so I would hire someone (keeping my day job) to run the store--who knows more. So, my question is where do most climbers buy their equipment? Online? REI?

Is there a need for such a store or is the market saturated?

Thanks, any advice would be great.

JMJ11

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you're not worried about making a lot of money, then you'll do well. I can't imagine that it would be a money maker, but I don't know diddly about retail sales. I buy from FF, Second Ascent, Basecamp when it existed and REI. It would be great to have a shop in town.

I agree that you need not to be concerned about money. It would be sweet to have a more local gear shop, but most of the time when I am actually headed towards a mountain there is a gear shop along the way. Mostly for me that is Second ascent, Feathered friends, AAI, MEC, Valhalla, and a couple Online shops mostly Backcountry gear.

In Anacortes you would need to primarily sell water sports stuff in order to keep the doors open. A small gear selection on the side would be awesome. Aside from the biners and such that would cross over to water sports use think of all the other wanabes that would buy gear.

Water sports would be out as Island Outfitters already has that market. I'm thinking about combining climbing etc. with something that appeals to the growing popluation of wealthy retired or semi-retired. That is why I was thinking about brining them back to backpacking with the extreme light weight equipment.

As far as water sports, kite boarding is not covered locally (maybe Bellingham)so that would be an option. I don't see much kite boarding around here (Bellingham) and I don't know if it catching on in Seattle or not.

As far as ropes, I personally perfer "custom" rolls of the major types so the climber can determine the exact lenght he/she wants. Then cut and seal it there. Again, my rock climbing experience is very limited

If it was 1/3 climbing shop, what would a serious rock climber like to see? Speaking of Second Ascent, should it have an area for second hand (not ropes) equipment?

Of course, the hard thing is having good equipment and being able to sell it near the discount price of the huge REI types.

Any other suggestions?

I would not use REI as a comparison in the normal sense. They have generally sold out (or at least the perception is that way) on climbers. The equipment that they offer is somewhat limited as compared with what most climbers want. It is a good reference as to what the general public sees as outdoor equipment. I might be tempted to use them when determineing what they desire.

As to climbing, the simplest assortment should work. If I dropped or forgot a critical piece of gear I would run to the local shop so as not to waste a day. When I am shoping for new protection or stuff on my rack then I would not mind ordering from a catalog if I was useing the local guy.

On the Water stuff, I know of one local kiteboard person on Orcas, and a couple sailboarders and surfers. So I think your accurate in assuming it is not catching on very quick.

I'm thinking about combining climbing etc. with something that appeals to the growing popluation of wealthy retired or semi-retired. That is why I was thinking about brining them back to backpacking with the extreme light weight equipment.

Der Sportsman is just off the main street facing Hwy 2 close to the east end of Front street. If you are targeting wealthy retired individuals and/or wealthy tourists it might provide you with a good model. You also might want to check out Leavenworth Mountain Sports. It's on the left side of Hwy 2 before you hit downtown.

I also like your idea of having a 2nd hand corner. (It would have been nice. tongue.gif) Good luck!!