[TR] Dragontail- East Ridge via aasgard Pass 6/20/2006

Keith_Henson

Climb: Dragontail-East Ridge via aasgard Pass

Date of Climb: 6/20/2006

Trip Report:

On Tuesday morning, June 20 I headed up to Aasgard pass to climb Dragontail by the East Ridge.

During the afternoon, the route up to the pass was largely covered in soft, good step-kicking snow. I have to admit that as this was my first mountain outing this year, I was plenty tired when I reached the top.

I set up my Zoid just south of the pass in an area visually dominated by the Witches Tower. As the sun lowered, the snow started hardening and within a couple of hours it was set. The clear sky was accompanied by temperatures low enough at 7800 ft to make ice in my water bottle.

By 6:30 on Wednesday I was in my crampons and on my way up to the Dragontail saddle at 8490 ft. From the saddle I saw a set of tracks traversing the headwall below the ridge and climbing. I followed and found myself at the west end of the mountain underneath the short gully leading to the col that jumps over to the Colchuck col. By then I figured it out and traversed over to the spur above the Dragontail saddle and headed up to the summit.

By the time I headed back down to the saddle the snow had softened and I glissaded down to the floor and headed to my camp to filter some water.

I then headed over to little Annapurna and walked up to the top. Upon arrival I saw the group of climbers I observed from camp below except for one man on the summit, a Russian. He told me that the party that just left was led by the person who did the first free ascent of Prusik Peak and was named “Mike”. (Mike Heath?) The Russian headed off to traverse the Dragontail Plateau while I glissaded down Little Annapurna and headed to camp. I later saw him as he headed over and above Witches Tower and emerged atop Dragontail saddle and came down.

Another cold and clear night Wednesday. Thursday I headed out early and cramped 90% of Aasgard Pass straight down on hard snow. With the pig I was carrying it was murder on my knee. (The poor thing is still ballooned.) I then overshot turning off and ended up just above the shore in the vine maple/slide alder (whatever) and bushwhacking. Fun times.

Took this old man 7 hours from tent to limping to the car. I remember being able to do it in less than 4 hours no prob...

Pictures are in my gallery here http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=6708&password=

670811b_Rainier_from_Dragontail_Summit_IMG_1397-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

crampons, ice axe, ski poles

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic