[TR] Mt. Washington- North Ridge 6/11/2006

dan_forester

Climb: Mt. Washington-North Ridge

Date of Climb: 6/11/2006

Trip Report:

Fun jaunt up Mt Washington's North Ridge yesterday with my friend Tom. There's still quite a bit of snow on the PCT and the climber's trail up to the ridge, which slowed us down a little bit. But snow along the ridge allowed us to kick steps and avoid the usual tedious scrambling up to the summit pinnacle. The pinnacle itself is dry (leave your ice axe at the notch) but the rock is as bad as ever, and three out of four holds will magically crumble before your eyes and fall into the limitless void below. Belay from the ramp above the notch to avoid the ridiculous rope drag I had the misfortune to experience (Tom belayed me from the notch, which seemed like a good idea at the time).

Descended by plunge-stepping and glissading the snow fields on the west side down to the PCT. Disclosure: managed to miss the PCT and had some bonus fun bushwhacking and backtracking to get back to the trail.

Conditions are pretty much as good as they get for this particular climb. Most people seem to think of Washington as a late season climb, but I think it's better early. That's fine with me, though; we had the mountain to ourselves.

No pictures because we didn't want to steal the mtn's soul.

Gear Notes:

ice axe, rope, slings, cordellette. Also used one hex and a couple medium stoppers.

Approach Notes:

Snow on the PCT from the trailhead. Climbers trail up to the ridge might be easy to miss if you haven't been there before.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic