Avy info for Emmons Route

JackY

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and see for yourself. No one is going to tell you that there is never any danger on any slope, but if you are worried, go check it out aund dig a test pit, or if you don't know how to do that, take a course and learn or wait until July. I do not know the stats but I'd be more worried about rime and debris falling from the ice above along route than an avalanche on the Emmons. Maybe someone out there has some stats about how many times and locations of where slides have occurred on that side of the mountain? I'e been up there in May, June, July, and Aug and never even seen signs of slides....

Jacky, to answer your question with a bit nicer tone...

Check out the mount rainier blogspot (see earlier posts for the web address); it has the most up to date conditions on each route (depending on if someone has been up there recently... only if you don't have an afternoon to just go "check it out for yourself" by digging a test pit).

About 2 weeks ago the mountain recieved 2-3 feet of new snow. Most of it should have consolidated and formed bonds with all the warm weather, however, like Ryland so politely pointed out... no one is going to say that conditions on the mountain are totally safe from avalanches.

When do you plan to climb Emmons?

Have fun!

...Most of it should have consolidated and formed bonds with all the warm weather, however, like Ryland so politely pointed out... no one is going to say that conditions on the mountain are totally safe from avalanches.

When do you plan to climb Emmons?

Have fun!

Here's the conditions website by the way...

http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

Please note the comments here and there on Gator's blog about recent unconsolidated snow on several of the routes. While it's been warm down here, the freezing level has only flirted with 10-11k feet a few days over the last few weeks. Personally, I'd give it some more time to settle down up there.

There was a BIG, BIG slide Friday 6/9 about 4PM that covered the entire upper half of the corridor, almost took out a party of 4 who were about 1000 above Schurman befor the slide veered off to the left. We saw it after descending from Liberty Cap. BTW we were able to descend from Liberty Cap by traversing Winthrop, should tell you how much snow is on Mt.