Need Info On Mission Mtns, MT.

Zacs

Hi,

I need to find as much info as I can on climbing and hiking in the Mission Mountains of western Montana. Specifically, I’m looking for as much info as I can on the trails, hikes and peaks above St. Ignatius, MT., i.e., East & West St. Mary’s Peaks, Lowry Peak, “Peak Y”, McDonald & West McDonald Peaks, and Kakashe Mountain, and the various lakes contained therein. This part of the Mission Range is tribal land belonging to the Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes, and it is closed from July 15th-Oct. 1st by the tribes to prevent human/grizzly confrontations. Consequently, there aren’t too many peeps accessing these mountains so info is hard to come by. With the exception of one high-pointing trip to McDonald Peak, and one or two other sketchy trip reports of nearby peaks, my internet searches have failed to produce any info. Likewise, I can’t seem to find much on general climbing in Montana, and very few hits on the Missions. I would love to trade some PM’s or emails with folks that may have knowledge of this area. Or, if someone could point me in the right direction info-wise I would be indebted to you.

Thanks,

Zacs

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McDonald peak is a great hike or climb depending on your route. If you look at the west ridge, you can go up and over Sheeps Head and up the rocky arete. I've only done it in winter but I've heard it has been done in summer.

Or go up Mission creek (?) to the north and bushwhack up the glacier drop zone. There is an old logging road that gets you up to about 5k below Sheeps Head. It takes off from the end of one of the section roads that cross the highway. Get a Lolo or Flathead forest map. I think the road is on there.

For more information, talk to hunters. And watch out for bears. They are up there and healthy.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I've noted the two climbing stores in Missoula and will contact them.

Bug: appreciate the route advice. I've been around Mission Creek but I can't think of this logging road, but I'll figure it out. I've spent a lot of time at lower elevations in the Missions but I've never climbed up into the high country. I know about the bears, AND water'm holes in Ronan smile.gif

Zacs