Temps

Enlightened_Hammer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Temps can vary all over the map, even over the course of a few hours. Best bet is to watch the forecasted freezing level, which will give you some idea. But it is only as good as our usual NW forecast. Last weekend the forecast I saw was for 6,500' freezing rising to 10,000' Sunday.

We were caught in the same snowstorm Sunday as chuck, but on S Face Prusik. It was t-shirt warm and sunny when we began the climb, but very quickly deteriorated in the last two pitches, doing the last pitch in a snowstorm. Rapped in snow and sleet. (Another party bailed on the W Ridge, and had their rap ropes stuck. Wet ropes are harder to pull.)

Our climb was done car to car, and on the approach, frost covered the open spots around Nada and Snow Lakes after clear night. Light on and off drizzle for the hike out. It did feel like it was warming up, but we were also dropping elevation.

It was very cold last weekend. Went up to do the West Face of Colchuck Balenced Rock on Sunday morning. Got to the basin beow CBR and the streams were iced up on the fringes. Got to the base and it was a battle to keep hands and feet from turning into ice cubes. Decided to wait around a while for it to warm up but it never happened. To dam cold to climb 5.11. The West Face looks like an awesome climb! Looking forward to doing it on a nice, warm sunny day next year!

SEF - We saw the system come in that snowed on you guys. It was really fast moving. It actually arrived about 3-4 hours after typical bad weather indicators.

Enlightened Hammer - I brought a 40 degree, slept in my cloths and still froze my ass off. It might be warmer this weekend but I think the weight is worth a good nights sleep.

climbed east ridge of Ingalls on Sunday. Saturday night car camped at 3000 ft (in a campground below esmeralda trailhead). It was below freezing when we woke up at 6 am. Frost on tent, ground. Water froze that was outside. I had my 30 degree bag and was on the edge of comfortable. Sunday started to snow around 1 or 2 pm before turning to rain. In the evening it was overcast and t-shirt weather. Forecast had been for a SL of 6500 ft but it was at least below 3000 ft so I don't think you should rely on that.