Mt. Temple/Razorback Spire/Lighthouse Tower

TimL

Does anyone have information on any of the routes in this part of the Temple Range? Basically I'm looking for any information on Mt. Temple, Razorback Spire, Comet Spire, The Meteor, The Professor and Lighthouse Tower. Also wondering if an ice axe and crampons would be reccomended for this area this time of year or should most of the snow in the basin below temple Ridge be gone by now?

BTW - One of the best Beckey descriptions I've come acrossed happens to be for the Meteor. "This short but exposed route involved two shoulder stands to gain lichened slab. Class 4 or 5)

[ 08-28-2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: TimL ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:

Would that be two shoulder stands at the same time or at different times? If the former, it would be kind of hard to do with two people. Three people would work. I wonder if a three-person (triple) shoulder stand has ever happened in climbing history.

I saw some picture of some East Germans doing a 6 man human pyramid somewhere in the Elbesandstein where climbing on your partners is considered free and not aid. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

Does anyone have information on any of the routes in this part of the Temple Range? Basically I'm looking for any information on Mt. Temple, Razorback Spire, Comet Spire, The Meteor, The Professor and Lighthouse Tower. Also wondering if an ice axe and crampons would be reccomended for this area this time of year or should most of the snow in the basin below temple Ridge be gone by now?

BTW - One of the best Beckey descriptions I've come acrossed happens to be for the Meteor. "This short but exposed route involved two shoulder stands to gain lichened slab. Class 4 or 5)

Here is some information: look under a certain boulder near Smoke-a-thai wall to find a hiden cache of Capt Caveman equipment [big Grin] probably chewed up and covered with [sNAFFLEHOUND] pellets.

quote:

Originally posted by TimL:

Dynos, sloppers, dirty slabs and OW cracks are all something I can deal with, but class 5 shoulder stands? Please Fred Beckey, come out and give us a clue here? Is it awaiting a first "free" ascent?

Yeah you better call the mags when you do the FFA of that route. [Roll Eyes] If you don't use a piton for safety you can claim first clean ascent too [Roll Eyes]

During my first visit to the Temple canyon side of the ridge, We thought we'd climb Temple from the north. When we got to the top we noticed that the next peak up the ridge was higher and therefore must be Temple. So we climbed Razorback spire by accident. That was 16 years ago but it seems the way we did razorback was up an easy ledge, maybe class 4. [sNAFFLEHOUND]