Indoor Wall Crash Pads?

rbwen

I built a wall in my garage and have yet to find the best solution for ground padding. I have gone through three of those blow up mattresses but I'm sick of putting them in the trash when they get miniscule holes in them. The wife doesn't want old matresses because, well, they're old mattresses (see mice, smell, etc.). What do you use to pad the floor of your home gym? Does anyone know of a place to get a stronger rubber-like mattress?

The best bet to me would be one of those pole vault pit pads. The gym I used to work at had about five of them and you could come off a wall twenty feet up with no worries. But where to get one or something similar and not pay big $$?

Thanks! Flame on!

rbwen

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

futons are good for the bottom of the wall, but if your floor is concrete then landing on your back from 8ft on a futton will leave you sucking for air.

Fight the wife, get those old soft mattresses with no springs, but the ones that are better than futons. If you have a crash pad or two just through that over the hard mattresses if you can't find good ones.

In our gym we had like 8 mattresses a 3-4 crashpads. Just tell everyone who climbs there to store their crashpads there, makes everything much easier.

I've got two Queen mattress size crash pads that I made myself for less than the cost of a Cordless. I went down to Fred Meyer and bought two cheap plastic mattress covers, a roll of duct tape, a package of grommets, and a giant stack of foam "camping pads." I bought the pads (really just sleeping bag sized pieces of 3" foam in varying densities) in the fall when they were closing them out and got a great deal. A lot of times when you’re buying that many, they’ll give you the lowest advertised cost they have listed in the computer, which is what I got anyway. I trimmed the pads and lapped/layered them against each other and slid into the mattress covers tightly to prevent holes or dead spots in the finished pad. The hardest densities went on top and the softest at the bottom. I installed the grommets around the edges of the pad covers to prevent blowouts and zipped the pads inside the covers. The duct tape I used to reinforce the cover around the grommets and to patch the covers when they get torn. My crash pads have been in service for several years now, and though they are covered in duct tape patches, they continue to catch falls from the ceiling of my garage and keep me from cratering into the concrete floor.