Cooper Spur?

northwest_dad

Hey, does anyone have any or know of any info on the climbing area by Cooper Spur? I know it's not really climbable right now 'cause it's so cold but for future reference, the info would be good. I was up there this weekend and there are some pretty crazy flows for some wierd ice 'bouldering' although a little soft 'cause it was warm. Rock soon though......

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed a few routes there over the summer - pretty good basalt stuff - similar to Broughton or Carver Bridge. Park on the East side of the highway at near the end of the landslide barrier a short ways south of the Cooper Spur turnoff. There's a spot where the old highway splits off from the new highway for a few hundred yards. From there, follow the trail up the hill.

I hear there is top-roping on the south end of the cliff and we found good trad leads in the main area. We looked at stuff ranging from 5.6 to 5.9 but I'm sure you can find harder routes.

Pete's Pile is a great place to climb. There are some nice crack climbs with slabs on the side for foot placement. If your really good, there is a climb that some friends swear by called the Guillotine right as you enter the climbing area. I prefer the easier corners a few yards down.