Starting sport... advice!!!! plz

up_up_up

so i am starting to get into sport and am loving it. yet i need to retire my old top rope. i would like some advise on what kind of rope to get.. i have some ideas about what i want like dry, 60 m, around 10mm, yet dont know what ropes are very good... and reliable...

also is it a good idea to get a second rope off of ebay(even if it is not new) and carry my TR and that rope with the cleaner of the route... that way on our muntilpitch climbs we can repel 2 stations, making it faster.. yet adding a little weight... is it worth it? would you trust a rope to just repell off of from ebay? what would u do?

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need to make full length raps, use either two half ropes or a single rope and an ultra skinny tag line (I think some people go as thin as 6mm, but 7mm is probably a lot more manageable and 8mm is even better) This should be a static line that is maybe 20-30 ft longer than your dynamic line so that they have the same stretched length. A surprising number of multipitch routes have single rope descents and walk offs, so you might not always need the tag line.

also is it a good idea to get a second rope off of ebay(even if it is not new) and carry my TR and that rope with the cleaner of the route... that way on our muntilpitch climbs we can repel 2 stations, making it faster.. yet adding a little weight... is it worth it? would you trust a rope to just repell off of from ebay? what would u do?

thanks

Umm. I would never buy a rope 2nd hand, sight unseen. Actually that extends to any load bearing climbing gear. As for rope, a 60m x 10.5mm is a good workhorse coil and should last you a while.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna start sport climbing also. My question is about the draws. I've been looking at getting ten or twelve omega pac wire gate fire-o's and a pair of wire alpine draws for the top system. Any advice would be appreciated. How many draws do I need? Should I be looking at different draws? (I have a great price on the omega pac draws.)

I'm gonna start sport climbing also. My question is about the draws. I've been looking at getting ten or twelve omega pac wire gate fire-o's and a pair of wire alpine draws for the top system. Any advice would be appreciated. How many draws do I need? Should I be looking at different draws? (I have a great price on the omega pac draws.)

If you are only ever intersted in sport climbing, get 10 or 12 of the cheapest quickdraws you can find and you'll be set.

If you think you might get into crack/trad climbing or alpine stuff, just get a bunch (24?) of light wiregate carabiners, and 8 or 10 24" sewn runners, plus a couple 48" runers. These lengths can all be tripled up on sport routes where you don't need a long runner connecting bolt to the rope. If you want stiffly sewn sport draws, you can just buy the nylon webbing cheaply and swap your wiregate carabiners into them for days when you're bolt clipping, and then use your longer more versatile runners on other climbs.

keynnosed quckdraws for $10, wiregate quickdraws for $12

also check out: www.gearexpress.com

• 1 month later...

You can rock climb with nothing more than a good pair of climbing boots or shoes (i.e. bouldering, scrambling) but if you want to get into technical rock climbing outside, you're going to need at the very least an alpine or sport-climbing harness, some carabiners, a belay device, a helmet, and some runners. Most beginning climbers will not invest in a climbing rope until they've had a few chances to see if they like it. If you climb at a climbing gym, you'll never have to buy your own rope, as the gyms will have set routes and supply the ropes at each climbing station. As for helmets, they're essential if you're climbing outside, but many people will skip using them if they climb at the gym.

You can check out other great free rock climbing info at:

http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/experts/rock-climbing.htm

If you are only ever intersted in sport climbing, get 10 or 12 of the cheapest quickdraws you can find and you'll be set.

If you think you might get into crack/trad climbing or alpine stuff, just get a bunch (24?) of light wiregate carabiners, and 8 or 10 24" sewn runners, plus a couple 48" runers. These lengths can all be tripled up on sport routes where you don't need a long runner connecting bolt to the rope. If you want stiffly sewn sport draws, you can just buy the nylon webbing cheaply and swap your wiregate carabiners into them for days when you're bolt clipping, and then use your longer more versatile runners on other climbs.

Yes, good advice.

I would look at 10.0 - 10.2 for all-round rope.