• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Eli3

sport/alpine rope questions

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of sport climbing (rope weight not really an issue) this summer, so I figure i'll bite the bullet and buy a rope - however, i'm also looking to buy a glacier/alpine rope (class I&II routes) for this spring. Should I get a non-dry rope for sport climbing and a 30mx8mm glacier rope? Or are the thinner dry ropes durable enough to withstand multiple falls from a heavy (200 lbs) beginning climber whom is hard on gear? It seems as though a non-dry rope and the rando rope combined are about the same price as a thin dry rope...

Any recomendations for any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Get the cheapest 60m single rope you can find for starting sport climbing.

If your alpine climbs will require the rope for glacier use only, then yeah, get a dry-treated 8mm rope, 30meters is long enough.

For an alpine rope that will be used for glaciers, and vertical rock pitches, you'd want a lighter-weight 60m single rope, or a set of half ropes.I don't think that's your situation though.

yeah for the sport climbing rope go for some beefy 10.5mm now, and you won't need the dry treatment if you're only going sport climbing for now.

Then when you start climbing 2-4 number grades harder get a nice skinny line for redpointing

start with sporto rope (as described above) it can be used for glaciers (althouh it will get wet and heavy). this won't work the other way - can't sport climb on a 8mil 30m rope (well, not for long at least)