That spongy thing in the btm of your XGK

wfinley

That spongy thing in the btm of my XGK that collects the excess fuel finally died and fell out. Do I need it? What's it made of? My main concern is that on really cold trips when I basically dump a ton of fuel into the stove to prime it - without the spongy thing it will just spill everywhere and not properly warm up my stove. Is this a legit concern?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the extreme cold or if you were going to run diesel or keroseen would be the only reason i would replace it.

i lost the one in my dragonfly years ago and havent missed it. even at -25f i didnt really miss it. i would have made it prime faster.

you can buy a msr repair kit for your xgk and there will be a new wick in the kit. or like someone else said, get creative and use something else.

Edited by climbnsparky

I used it this past weekend and it worked fine - however temps never dropped below 20. We plan on a 2 week March trip and are thinking temps will be brutal cold - thus I have concerns. I did buy a new MSR repair kit this year - but there was no wick; today I sent an email to MSR - I'll pass on what they say when I hear back. (PS - cotton burns)