Ice in Washington

nordicpunk

My buddy and I are looking for good weekend of ice in Washington maybe? from Bend- new to the area, and looking for something fairly close. Is anything in at Baker area? Any advice for good climbs (WI3-4) greatly appreciated. Not afraid of 1-2hrs of ski approaches either, but want to spend most of our time climbing, not touring. thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there is a ton of ice around right now, but a lot of it is either probably somewhat inaccessible or young. There hasnt been much talk lately of the typical areas. I'd imagine this weekend your best bet is just to start driving (LW, Banks, Mazama, etc) and hop you find something. I would think that next weekend would be a little better if you want a sure thing.

pick up the Washington Ice book by Martin and Krawarik

A guidebook, IMHO, is of minimal use in a state like WA. The problem is not that it is hard to find information on ice climbing areas but that finding information on conditions is next to impossible save obvious cold spells where lots of people are clmbing, such as a month or two back.