Buy Danish!

catbirdseat

The right to freedom of thought and expression... cannot entail the right to offend the religious sentiment of believers.

-- Vatican statement re Mohammed cartoons

blush.gif

Can you imagine this quote coming out of the Vatican a few hundred years ago? A quote protecting the religious sensitivities of Muslims?

I wonder about the depth of discussion there before this statement was released, and what religious/political considerations, if any, informed it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realize that statement is from a church that was responsible for the massacre of millions in the past 1000 years. All to protect the "sentiments" of believers. So it goes. The last thing believers of all faiths want is meddlers opining the possibility that the whole structure upon which they rest their lives might be based in fantasy.

I don't know if the cartoons in question were really working/offending at this level; seemed more that they dislocated any context, taking stereotypical mundane misunderstandings of Arab/west relations, and furthered that misunderstanding.

And again I must say that I am not supporting the reaction of the Muslim world (perhaps Jim above hits it right?), but the metacontext certainly allows for the understanding of the reaction, I think.

Good lord, don't you tire of yourself? Don't you tire of hammering away with the same cynical contemptuous tone masquerading as "humor"?

And CBS, you say that Muslims have no right to commit crimes because of the caricaturization and "defacement" of their prophet Muhammed, and yes I would agree, but does not that standard apply to others as well? Does it not apply to the execution of, on many counts, an illegal war in Iraq? Does it not apply to the west's disregard of UN Resolutions 194, 242, 446, and 3236 regarding the west-created state of Israel? Does it not apply to a generations old oppression, manipulation, dictator-propping western approach towards the Arab world in general?

Some say I may be reaching with the above comparisons, but I think it's important to understand the context in which any event occurs, NOT as a way to excuse any given conduct, but as a way to perhaps further one's understanding (if understanding is one's goal).

If understanding is your goal, there's a great front-page article in today's WSJ concerning the precise context in which this situation occured. It doesn't stretch back to Hulagu's decimation of Babylonia, or the implosion of trading routes after the Euros found a sea-route to the far-East, the Moors'ejection from Spain courtesy of the battle of Grenada, the Ottoman's the battle of Vienna, and other key-milestones o' stagnation and decline that paved the way for colonization by some of their former subjects - so it may not be complete enough for your tastes, but it does quite a bit to explain the time lag between the cartoon's original publication and the Islamist pep-rallies that we're witnessing now.

I was really busy when that was going on so got hopelessly behind. I scanned it and was appalled by the number of apologists for muslim mayhem. Sure they have a right to be offended. No they have no right to commit crimes just because they are upset. I don't go smash people's stuff every time I get mad!

You have just joined Dave_Shuldt as the only poster to achieve a negative score in my "Reflexive Western Self Loathing Sweepstakes." Very dissapointing so far, as Sexual_Chocolate and others who had potential scored goose-eggs with their entries.

There are two clear frontrunners at the moment, but seeing as how Jim has yet to submit his entry, any final judgement would be premature.

Seems simple. If you don't like the cartoon, don't read it or send a letter to the editor, or protest peacefully.

Unfortunately I think this is another case of political oportunitism by a minority. Though I'm not sure of the orginal point of the contest: draw cartoons of Mohammed to test boundaries - I didn't think they were so provacative, but I'm not Muslim.

Bottom line - protest, boycott, but threatening life and property is quite out of line.

Negative score for Jimbo, too. How the mighty have fallen...

Edit: upon closer review allocating the bulk of the responsibilty for the incident to the Danish newspaper in question overrides the sentiments that Jim closed this statement with, so I will have to reconsider and grant this entry a positive score. Not a contender for first place, but a solid effort nonetheless.

Hitting a little too close?

It wasn't rhetorical.

Yes comrade, 'tis with a weary hand and a heavy heart that I labor onwards...

P.S. I can scan that WSJ article and e-mail it to you if you can't bear the thought of granting your patronage to the capitalist overlords.

P.S. I can scan that WSJ article and e-mail it to you if you can't bear the thought of granting your patronage to the capitalist overlords.

I realize that you like the feel of newsprint gently baked by the butler so the ink doesn't soil your hands, but there is this thingy called the intraweb and the WSJ is on it!

PS - isn't it about time you post the Americans & leisure time article from the Economist?

If understanding is your goal, there's a great front-page article in today's WSJ concerning the precise context in which this situation occured. It doesn't stretch back to Hulagu's decimation of Babylonia, or the implosion of trading routes after the Euros found a sea-route to the far-East, the Moors'ejection from Spain courtesy of the battle of Grenada, the Ottoman's the battle of Vienna, and other key-milestones o' stagnation and decline that paved the way for colonization by some of their former subjects - so it may not be complete enough for your tastes, but it does quite a bit to explain the time lag between the cartoon's original publication and the Islamist pep-rallies that we're witnessing now.

I'm saddened that my subscription to WSJ ran out, but the high endorsement will send me to the nearest news-stand, since it's actually a rag I enjoy reading from time to time.

And I'm sure that by using what's your bro's name Occam's(!) razor to decide which factors are more important: Something that happened a couple of generations ago at most and is still actively in violation of law and Resolution, or centuries ago and rather abstruse for most, one will not need to refer to the ol' Absurdio Reductum, but thanks for putting it into play! (did you see El Randle throw that TD pass to what's-his-name? Unexpected!)

I realize that you like the feel of newsprint gently baked by the butler so the ink doesn't soil your hands, but there is this thingy called the intraweb and the WSJ is on it!

PS - isn't it about time you post the Americans & leisure time article from the Economist?

That was a good one. Maybe you can share the good news yourself.

I think part of the answer to the conundrum raised by the article is the fact that most people take a great deal of pride in the extent of their overwork, and overburdening, and tend to inflate their own numbers when reporting them.

Protestantism, salvation by works, look what ye have wrought...

I'm saddened that my subscription to WSJ ran out, but the high endorsement will send me to the nearest news-stand, since it's actually a rag I enjoy reading from time to time.

And I'm sure that by using what's your bro's name Occam's(!) razor to decide which factors are more important: Something that happened a couple of generations ago at most and is still actively in violation of law and Resolution, or centuries ago and rather abstruse for most, one will not need to refer to the ol' Absurdio Reductum, but thanks for putting it into play! (did you see El Randle throw that TD pass to what's-his-name? Unexpected!)

That's one of the interesting things about all of the reading that I did on the Middle East/Islam is that both Western and non-western authors suggested that the these events still plays a significant role in their collective memory.

Maybe that's why hamas or some other such outfit has exhumed the reconquest of Andelusia as a theme in their elementary-school offerings.

Related article below:

http://www.slate.com/id/1008411/