Ptarmigan Traverse two weeks from now...am I nuts?

pete_a

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The snowpack isn't settling into consolidated springtime snow conditions yet and the Ptarmigan Traverse demands a stable snowpack. I wouldn't do it so soon this year, as we've gotten quite a bit of late season snow. Our plans for the Forbidden Traverse over Memorial Day may get hosed off as well.

The snow conditions around Cascade Pass are fine. Beck is very conservative rolleyes.gif (If it's the Beck I'm thinking of). If your on skis you'll have fun, but if your walking you will hate life. Walking is stupid anyway.

If we get some clear weather with cold night time temps the snow will be fine.

So some friends of mine and I for months have been planning on taking a shot at doing the Ptarmigan the week of Memorial Day...We figured with the low snowpack this year, conditions would probably be similar to what climbers see by mid-summer during a normal year, and this is really the only time that all of us can take a week from our jobs. But the recent nasty weather up in the Cascades has me worried and I'm in need of some advice...should we scrap out plans for the traverse and look for some other fun stuff to do that week or do you think it could go, as long as the forecast isn't for pouring rain/snow. Thanks