Advice needed...

gaper

Ok, I'm hoping that the advice I get here can prevent me from having "me head in me arse" this weekend. I am an admitted novice when it comes to mountaineering, but keen. I've gone up a couple Colorado 14'ers, like to rock climb, and have done a good bit of Wilderness camping, and outdoors activity. This weekend a group of friends and I are going to climb (attempt to climb) Adams. We've phoned the ranger station, and done a little research, and been told we need snow shoes, crampons, ice axes, and appropriate clothing... all of which we have or plan to rent. We plan on hiking in on Saturday, to around 9,000 feet, via the South ridge/ route, and camp at the lunch counter... we then will summit on Sunday (hopefully), then hike out. I am strongly considering lugging my skis to the top...

Any advice, suggestion, or snide remark is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gaper, with a nice early start, adams is an easy day trip, just like the 14ers in Colorado. chances are you wont need the crampons this late in the year, but they are nice to have along.

------------------

safe climbing! vkaspar

Skis are a big plus especially on the way down! Crampons may be needed as well as an alpine axe. However, You dont need to lug a rope. The trip can easily be done in one day, I like two days because I find the lunch counter a beautiful spot to camp and enjoy the views tremendously. There are plenty of windbreaks there as well. Its not technically challenging by any means, but its a fun trip which I never get tired of doing.

Good luck and have fun!

If you're renting ice axes:

Everyone in the group should have practice self-arresting with an ice axe, so practice the night before if you're car camping or along the route if you're not. If it's slick enough to require crampons, then self-arresting knowledge becomes a must. Actually get in the snow with a pack on and practice it.

If you're renting crampons:

Crampons can be fussy, and a perfect fit is key. So you should take everyone's boots to the rental place and make sure they fit before you leave.

Have fun.

there is only one "steep"-ish slope on the south spur route, around 11,000 feet, enjoyable skiing, perhaps av danger but you have to judge when you are there.

you leave in the early morning to get back down by happy hour, or course!

------------------

safe climbing! vkaspar

howdy gaper:

Me & my wife attempted Adams late May of 2000 and slogged all day (10 hours)of day 1 to only reach 8000' - the hike from the truck to the Cold Springs TH was 7 MILES. Point is - you should plan on 2 days this time of year, if it goes in a day great, but don't screw your trip by planning on it. On the other hand in mid September we made it truck to summit to truck in under 12 hours.

Bring your ski poles - most of the terrain is too low angle for your ice axe to be much help, but, you will need it also.

have fun - the burgers at the little place next to the Cheveron station in Trout Lake are great. Which reminds me, the ranger station is actually 1 mile past the cheveron station - stay to the left at the Y to the rangers or go right to the mountain. We did get checked for climbing permits on the climb in may but not september.

I better get back to work

None of the prior posts has indicated how far the road might be open, but if prior knowledge is going to change your plans at all you might find out from the ranger at Trout Lake. The current avalanche forecast indicates that you should expect deep snow (as should be obvious because it has been cold and wet for most of the last month). If you are thinking of taking skis to the summit, "just for fun," you might consider using skins and leaving the snowshoes behind because the approach will mostly be on roadbed or gentle terrain (there are a couple of short steep hills near timeberline where you could take the skis of and swim if you had to, but then it doesn't steepen again until the "headwall" above the lunch counter where, hopefully, the wind and sun will have hardened things up for you).

Consider camping at timberline which, not looking at a map, I would guess is about 7,000 feet. There is water available and better shelter in case it is windy. Also, this will save you from lugging your camping equipment farther than necessary. In addition, I believe the Forest Service has been trying to discourage camping at the lunch counter because the place cannot properly handle the sewage and garbage that accumulates there (not that you would be as much of a slob as some, but there is always some spillage).

The South Ridge is a good ski route, though this is probably not the best time for it. The predicted avalanche hazard is fairly significant and the weather is supposed to be showery so visibility may be minimal. On skis, the initial drop from the summit is usually rough going on sastrugi, and the initial drop from the false summit can be intimidating even if you aren't traveling in a white out or worried about starting an avalanche.

Enjoy.

thanks folks. i am very much looking forward to this climb, and hope to do much more in the future. i enjoy this board, and appreciate the valuable advice. What is avalance danger like this time of year on Adams... i've been told to start early, and assume that is at least part of the reason.

I was there on saturday, Gaper, were you the guy from Florida?- anyway, the road stops 3 1/2 miles from the trailhead. Bring snowshoes or skis it's postholing from where the road ends all the way to the lunch counter. Also, dont be a dummy like me and try to take road #23 down- its closed 25 miles down- I lost 3-4 hours of driving time!!!!!