NR Baker question

goatboy

Hello,

In the gallery, I found a tasty photo taken by JesseH.

9165Dick2.jpg

I wonder if these are representative of August (or general late-summer) conditions (the photo was posted in August, so I'm just assuming...)

Thanks to anyone familiar with the route who might be able to answer.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the lack of snow in the valley, exposed glacier ice and the beat in trail in the glacier, I would say it is in august.

I haven't been on it for 6 years or so but I remember the ice bit being much steeper. More like 70 degrees back then. Looks mellow now. It usually is steeper to the climbers left.

Hey "Goatboy,"

I think the NR consistently gives you some options, with the ice step getting bigger and steeper to climber's right (this conflicts with what genepires says above). Following the ridge proper yielded a few pitches of moderate (AI 3) ice when I did it in June of 2004 (after a low snow winter). What made it most interesting was the varied nature of the climbing: steep neve followed by steep glacier ice followed by a snow covered shield of ice followed by deep snow. Plenty of cleaning rotten snow off of ice, then bashing granulated ice away for screws. I recall that one pitch featured both ice screw AND t-slotted picket placements!

Hope this helps.