Some Clothing Questions

Brett_the_Hun

I've been slowly trying to gather together a clothing system that works well for me outside - from typical hiking and backpacking to more technical mountaineering and ice climbing. Money is short, however, so I've been forced to limit my spending and instead only shop when I find a good deal here and there. That being said, REI is having a clearance sale and a couple items caught my eye.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...;vcat=REI_HP_LD

I really am not a gear guru in the least bit, so I figured I would post the links on CC and see what kind of comments I got on these items. How well would these items perform in Washington State weather, year round, in all sorts of outdoor situations? Any comments on materials or weight? Too heavy or light? Anything will help cuz like I said, I know nothing when it comes to clothing. Thanks all!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Squamish jacket looks okay; the switchback looks heavy and bulky. I'm not a big fan of windproof fleece; for me, it doesn't breathe well enough.

At some point, it'll all come down to your personal preference, and you'll have to experiment to find out what that is. That said, going cheap is the way to go when you're first starting out.

For cold conditions, my layering system goes something like this (there's a million ways...this is just what I use): Base layer short sleeve t-shirt, 100 wt. fleece (non-windblock) with a spare fleece, or other long sleeve layer in the pack. I throw in a light primaloft insulating jacket, and have a light shell to throw over top of that, for a final windblock.

This allows me a lot of versatility. If it's cold and dry, but doing aerobic work (like approaching a climb) the t-shirt, fleece, and schoeller pants fit the bill great. Stop? Fine. Throw on the primaloft. If it's relatively warm, but rainy (hiking...not going climbing in this scenario), I go in my t-shirt, and throw on the light shell, with the zips open to ventilate.

These are my basics, but I can use the same gear for multiple scenarios, and add to it, or subtract, as to what the forecast is saying.

Sorry if this is too much information, or all too obvious.

Chad

In the NW a basic system that works particularly well is:

1) Light base layer (I like light-weight long-sleeve wool, but a light synthetic base layer will work too). This layer might weigh 8 ounces in size medium.

2) Very very light and breathable nylon wind shell top. This layer might weigh 2 to 4 ounces in a medium.

These layers work most of the time when it isn't actually hot and sunny; if you are moving this should be enough even in somewhat windy or rainy weather. If it's really hot I might just wear sunblock as a top, or just the light nylon wind shirt. Schoeller is great for pants, but the combination of light long johns and lightweight (but tough) nylon pants is similar, and cheaper.

3) A synthetic puffy jacket is far better than fleece (lighter, warmer, more versatile). In winter it is worth having a Jacket with a big insulated hood that fits over a helmet. A good (NW) winter parka might weigh 24 to 32 ounces in a size large. A small light puffy sweater may be all you need in summer, and might weigh 12 ounces or so.

4) The rain/wind shell can be worn as the third layer when moving in colder wetter weather, or it can be worn over everything when not moving in hard rain. The rain shell does not have to be a heavy expensive garment, in fact a well designed but light weight jacket is best, and can be inexpensive if you watch for deals. You will need both a top shell and shell pants. The top shell must have a hood that works well over a helmet. Either the top or the bottom wind shell might weigh less than 16 ounces each. Even less expensive models, like the Marmot Precip, work great and don't weigh much.

All of these garments can be inexpensive, and they combine in many combinations to meet a wide variety of conditions. They all manage moisture well, so they reduce the amount of extra stuff you may need to carry (and pay for).

Heavy garments are too hot to wear, so you end up carrying them on your back most of the time. One good windproof shell takes care of wind problems, so everything else should stress breathability and quick-drying characteristics. I like clothes that fit well. The only garment that may be worth having a bit large is the puffy jacket, since you often want to throw it on over everything else. The rain shell should be able to go over the puffy jacket, but it doesn't need to be a roomy fit. I'd rather have it fit well over light layers (not a baggy, breezy, sloppy fit).

Light ballaclavas are surprisingly warm. Really good "waterproof" gloves are worth the high cost, otherwise carry extras. Good boots are worth money, but the most expensive pair may not be the best.

Edited by Nick

Nick is giving you some great advice here.

Stay away from fleece, go with a puffy coat for warmth and less weight. If you can only afford one puffy, get a synthetic one, I'd say. Headwear and handwear help to keep you warm for not a lot of money and not a lot of weight. You also might look at getting something like the Marmot Dri Clime jacket. Lots of companies make similar things, basically a layer of microfleece and a layer of ripstop. Very versatile, not expensive or heavy.

Good places to get great deals:

The Outdoor Research store on 1st Ave S. in Seattle. Last time I was in there, I got a really nice pair of ski gloves for $16. They also have their Celestial 2.5 layer jacket there for $60 when they have big sales, that jacket retails at $220. I have one and it's a really great piece.

Another place to look is in the clearance area at Montbell's website. Also reioutlet.com. also the basement at the REI store, where they have stuff that's been returned sometimes for uhhltra cheap.

The crowd here is pretty knowledgeable, don't be afraid to bring more things here for people to comment on.

PS. I like the idea of a 2.5 layer jacket, but that REI one is not one of the better ones.

Bucking the common thought, I like lightweight fleece pullovers, like 100 weight stuff. LIght enough to breathe somewhat but still has insulation qualities when under a windshirt or jacket. usually damn cheap and takes a beating too. (like thrashing in the prickly branches in red rocks) Versatile and cheap is good.