September Mountaineering course

lanceolsen

I'm thinking of taking a 12-day mountaineering course with American Alpine Institute starting September 4th. I'm wondering if this is too late in the season for this area. The mountains they go to are Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, Glacier Peak, Cutthroat Peak, South Early Winter Spire, Liberty Bell, and Silver Star. Would I be better off taking a course up in Canada if I have to go so late?

Also, can anyone give me advice on other schools I might look at for a course of this length. My goal is to learn and practice as much as possible, rather than bagging peak after peak. In particular, I've been looking at Alpine Ascent International's 13-day course.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

September is a wonderful time to climb in the Cascades, actually it is my favorite month! The only issue is that the glaciers will be more broken up and will require some route finding, but the standard routes on Baker, Shuksan, and Glacier should still be fine. (The other peaks you mentioned do not involve glacier travel.)

I have climbed with a number of folks who got their start by taking an AAI course, any they spoke very highly of the guide service and their experience. I don't think you can go wrong with AAI.

Dan Mazur runs courses on Baker and Rainier without permits. If you are caught while on a trip, it could come to a quick end.

Whatever course you take, be sure to ask where exactly it will take place and how well-trained the guides are. All courses are not equal. AAI, Alpine Ascents, and North Cascades Mountain Guides all run excellent programs with qualified guides. I think AAI runs the best instructional courses for the money.