ice around portland?

astrov

I'm thinking about moving to Portland, so I would like to get a feel for the typical options for ice. How far away are they from the city? How much? Is there any ice at all?

And no, don't get mad, I'm not asking for you to reveal your secret and coveted ice floes ... if there even are any. I'm just debating going to school in Vermont vs. Portland, and one of the considerations is the general quality and quantity of ice climbing in the area, and how far I'd have to drive to enjoy it ...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you stay in vermont you will get way more local water ice, but there is some to be had around here.

If you move to the PNW you will have access to more rewarding BIG ice climbs, but they will be few and far between. You'll be closer to road trips to the canadian rockies and montana, although flying there from vermont is way quicker than driving there from portland.

Vermont=more ice climbing for you

PNW=real alpinism, but with much hair pulling and failure

I grew up in VT and went to UVM, I have done most of my climbing since I moved out here, but most of the straight-up techninical ice has been in VT. Like ML says much hair pullin and failure along with some seriously fun big alpine routes in the PNW. You really can't go wrong, pick the best school, you will climb no matter what.