Do I need high altitude linners for Denali?

OlegV

I am still not sure if I need high altitude liners for Scarpa Iverno on Denali. Anybody had experience with regular liners in super-cold conditions? What if I wear thiiick wool socks and have extra-insulating sole below my feet? As I understand, most of the cold comes from below your feet - which is in direct contact with the snow.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oleg...I've climbed Denali in regular liners and foam ones. Have always liked the extra "insurance" the foam ones give...just in case it's realy cold (i.e., April & May). The foam or aveolite ones are usually a bit lighter, too, which is helpful if you have a long or bitter cold summit day. I also wear Forty Below overboots above 14k. Not sure if I'm a wuss...or just wanna keep those toes. So far, it's worked well. The overboots can also be used with polarguard booties...around camp...or with the foam liners. Nice to give those feet a rest after a long day on the hill.

I'm always in Koflachs...so not sure about the Scarpa Invernos. Maybe someone has specific info 'bout those puppies on Denali.

Having had a good bit of experience in cold, moderately high places I would just say that footwear is one, if not the one, key piece of gear for a climb like that and warmth is a big reason. Why chance it? They aren't that expensive compared to the time and $ you will be committing to the climb. Enjoy the toasty warmth of new liners and then you won't spend any extra energy worrying over it either. Davai! Udachi! I pomni, i vodka biz pivo, kak dengi na veter...

Edited by crazy_t