When to climb Mt. Ranier?

ADKMan

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to climb Mt. Rainier. We will be traveling from the Northeast and want to maximize our chances of getting a good weather window. Understanding that anything can happen weather wise, would we be better to plan the trip for late May / June or a July / August trip? We are planning on the Emmons Glacier route via Camp Schurman, is this route usually still in good shape in later summer? Or are we better to do it earlier?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be different... my vote will be from Father's Day weekend (late June) to mid-July. For the last 10 years or so, there seems to be a 4-5 day stretch of nice weather towards the end of June. (Good luck catching it!)

But the problem with coming from back east is you don't have the time to wait out the ugly weather waiting for the break! If you DO... then I'd shoot for the earlier time frame. Less people and a more "pristine" mountain on the Emmons side, before the hordes descend. If you don't have a lot of free time to wait out the weather, go for early July.

-kurt

I've seen it snow more on the 4th of July on the mountain than be sunny or climbable over a number of years. However...sometimes it's really nice. Totally a crap shoot. The best weather is prolly July 15-Aug 15, but the route can be an issue later...in some years.

Have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...