ice tool = shovel handle

dbconlin

I have old BD Black Prophets that I use as the handle to my shovel blade on multi-day trips. This works really well, an idea I originally got from Twight's book. The handle design on the BD tools, including the cobras fit perfectly into the blade of a Backcountry Access shovel (with the oval shaft).

Question: has anyone come up with other tool/blade combos that work, or ways of jerry-rigging them to work? The reason I ask is that I am considering purchase of new (i.e. modern) tools, but I do not want to lose that functionality.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the nob on the end of the shaft on most "modern" tools will interfere with this function. but, in the old days, i used to carry a couple U-bolts with wingnuts and washers, sized to fit the shaft of my iceaxe, with holes drilled thru a deadman so as to function as a shovel. you cld probably fritz something together using this concept. it's a great idea to avoid duplicating weight on flat aluminum objects. or tubular, for that matter...

cheers, don

• 1 month later...

Shovels designed to fit on ordinary ice tool shafts used to be made by various companies. You run into used ones from time to time. I use an old Choinard shovel that fits most of my Grivel axes. Black Diamond kept making the design for a while, and there is a scandinavian brand as well. These shovels are a bit on the small side, but I carry one when weight matters a lot and avy danger isn't a big issue. The design is fairly simple; you could make an OK copy of one if you're handy with aluminum. Don's u-bolts would be easier, but slow to put on in an emergency.