Joining Rope

Toast

It's common practice to use the double/triple Fisherman's Knot to join rope ends, and it's specifically used for tied Perlon slings and cordalettes. Unfortunately, it's one of the worst knots to have to untie after the knot's been weighted several times.

A friend of mine suggested the Sheet Bend (i.e. a sideways tied Bowline.)

2712Sheet_Bend-med.JPG

After a little thought, I couldn't think of why not, especially with a double wrap and a Yosemite finish (sort of like how gym climbers tie in.)

2712Double_Sheet_Bend_Exploded-med.JPG 2712Double_Sheet_Bend_Yosemite_Finish-med.JPG

Doing so reduces the arc angle of bends, thus mitigating loss of strength, and it makes this knot easy to untie. The only trade off I can think of is I don't know of anybody who uses this knot, and most won't be familiar with it.

Does anybody have any test data on the strength of this knot or the degradation of rope strength vs. the Double Fisherman's Knot?

Edited by Toast

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks CBS. The problem (and the virtue) of the Carrick Bend is it's slippery and unties, probably, too easily. It's also super bukly.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the knot I described would be suitable for a cordalette or tied perlon slings, things I'll occasionally want to untie (think V-thread or tying around a big ass anchor.) I don't see why not, but that's why I'm asking the question.

Thanks CBS. The problem (and the virtue) of the Carrick Bend is it's slippery and unties, probably, too easily. It's also super bukly.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the knot I described would be suitable for a cordalette or tied perlon slings, things I'll occasionally want to untie (think V-thread or tying around a big ass anchor.) I don't see why not, but that's why I'm asking the question.

Carrick bend is out then. Your rewoven sheet bend should work, or else a double sheet bend, for cordage with a slippery core, such as Spectra. In the double sheet bend you make two loops instead of one.