• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom253

Snowshoeing Sucks

No kidding! Ptarmigan (and Mt. Rainier in general) is exactly the kind of climb where skis would be vastly better than snowshoes. If you were to "carry over," the extra length of the skis extending above your pack would be little or no problem on the route and ski boots would be perfectly adequate for the climb. (I'm not so sure I'd carry over, though.)

I'm with you Matt, why carry your skis up it and then not enjoy the spectacular ski descent???

Still "glowing", eh?

Way to get it done. thumbs_up.gif

Personally, I like my knees so I don't ski. With that said, snowshoes rock. I can't believe it took me until 2001 to buy a pair of MSRs. Phhhhhh. I can do waaaaaaaay more things in them versus the "other" brands and squeeze waaaaaaaaay more mileage and misery in a 24-hour day than before!

-kurt

(edit for the accidental snaf.gif)

Edited by knelson

I think you can design a scenario (trees, rocks, etc) when snowshoes are better, but 95% of the time, it is no contest. Snowshoes are clunky and ineffecient. How many of the folks advocating snowshoes have spent significant time on a good pair of BC skis? Arguing that shoeshoes are better/easier/faster than skinning is just funny....

Edited by korup

Most often when I go snow shoeing just for fun I choose just what korup describes, a route where snowshoes are probably better. Following creeks is a blast, especially when coming down! But, be careful, there can be many terrain traps and you need to stay conscious of them.

I think you can design a scenario (trees, rocks, etc) when snowshoes are better, but 95% of the time, it is no contest. Snowshoes are clunky and ineffecient. How many of the folks advocating snowshoes have spent significant time on a good pair of BC skis? Arguing that shoeshoes are better/easier/faster than skinning is just funny....

Could not agree more!! Good post! I think the learning curve involved with BC skiing clouds the advantageous qualities at first.