• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
cperry

Mt. Baker, Shuksan, Hood? Next weekend?

i am thinking about flying into town next weekend to try to get in some climbing... but i have no idea what conditions are like in the cascades in november (always late may/early june)... Does anyone know what route conditions are like on the north ridge of shuksan right now? i flew out two years ago to make an attempt at in december but snow conditions were too difficult...

will i have better luck next weekend?

if not, can anyone suggest a decent semi-technical route that will be in good shape next weekend... me wanna climb.

thanks to all.

bigdrink.gif

Baker Ski Area has gotten something like 48" of snow in the last two days. It doesn't sound like it's going to let up. No one will be climbing shit anytime soon.

Right now, east slope peaks or those further south appear to be better choices. Silver Star Mountain or Mt. Adams might be better than Baker or Shuksan, and the Three Sisters in Oregon might even be better. (Steens Mountain might be even better if you don't want a bunch of new snow.)

Of course, if the North Cascades is your target zone, you might pick an objective that does not involve so much high elevation struggle. This weekend the freezing level is 3000' but it is bound to go higher next week. (By the way, the "north ridge" on Mt. Shuksan may not be a route. There is the "North Face" route, which is really the North-Northeast Face, and perhaps the right perimeter of it might be said to be the "North Ridge," but I'm not sure.)

In general, November and December are probably the worst months of the year for North Cascade climbing.

If you've already got your tickets, I'd consider something east of the crest. Maybe the Colchuck Glacier route n Colchuck if the avy hazard isn't too out of control there, or perhaps Mt. Cashmere with a camp at Lake Caroline (?). Even if the weather sucks the camping in the Colchuck cirque is scenic and relatively sheltered.

yah, the central oregon cascades have got 20 inches in the last two days at 5000 ft. So there is probably much more higher up. The pass last night was crazy! Let it snow!!! fruit.gif