What did your grandparents do?

TREETOAD

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious why you ask, but it’s all really interesting. Are you writing a book?

Anyway, my paternal grandparents were from Salem, OR. Their parents emigrated here… not quite sure what they did down in Salem, but by the time they moved to Seattle they owned a hotel and were doing quite well.

My maternal grandparents were born in 1890 (grandpa) and 1900 (grandma) – odd, considering I am only 26. They emigrated here and the marriage was arranged. They were farmers, and produced their own labor force… altogether they had 14 children, the last of which was my mother. I guess my grandpa didn’t believe in birth control, either that or they couldn’t afford it.

During the war they were all sent first to the Puyallup Fairgrounds, and then to Minidoka in Idaho or Tule Lake in Oregon (for the “really dangerous ones”). Several of my uncles served in the military during the internment period anyway and fought for our country in Italy, which I find to be interesting.

I haven’t heard much about what happened after the war, and those that would talk were too young to remember or to really grasp the severity of the situation – that is, completely starting over. When we ask about what happened, no one really says anything, or they start talking about something else. Typical Japanese stoicism.

No not wriing anything, I just thought it would be interesting to see what paths everyone been travelling on, and more to humanize the interface between everyone. It's good to know where you are from I suppose and to think about it from time to time. Cool stories and it is interesting to see how wars have affected so many lives